Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-13-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
I honistly think the bad flash holes in my 200 batch of Privy brass caused
the variation in my group size that made me scrap all the brass.
wally
More details please Wally... may help ID any others.
I've not heard of any bad batches in the last 3 years...
When did you encounter this bad batch of PRIVI brass?
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Two things can/will cause the base of head to dish and primer pocket to
form a hump inside the case as these RUM cases have from Rem I've been working on.
Metal too cold and/or no inside support when they're being punched.

This will happen regardless of maker as has been discovered in these Hornady cases.

It's very common to find several cases without the fire hole being punched in new Rem brass. Don't know about brands as these are the only one's I've had problems with myself.

My troubles with sleeping on these things is they usually keep me from sleeping and ruin the whole night. Though many a time I do solve such problems in dreams. Don't know whether all these drugs I'm eating causes it or not. But, I seldom have even a short nap without having some type dream.
At least the last several yrs they haven't been nightmares like I had awhile back.

Anyone remember watching: The Glass House movie with Jan Michael Vincent and Slim Pickens? Don't recall the details but, the bad guys held Slim by outspread arms just as a semi nailed him. I had the same situation several times in my dreams. One I woke up just as a lion jumped for my throat. Others were quite similar, I always woke up just as it was about to nail me. Turned out to be drug created. Glad I don't have the coffee habit too!

Apologize for hijacking your thread. Back to the subject now.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 04-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilleyman View Post
More details please Wally... may help ID any others.
I've not heard of any bad batches in the last 3 years...
When did you encounter this bad batch of PRIVI brass?
I bought two 100 bags of Privi 22Hornet brass to make into 17 A/H brass
I die formed all of them with the Redding 3 die set and loaded up 20 to fireform and to make up loads to try,
I lost 11 to split necks so read up on annealing and annealed annother 20 quenched them in water loaded them up and had 9 missfires cause i had not dryed them enough so from then on i anneal and let thm cool on a metal base.
I finaly made a case i was happy with so loaded up the rest of the cases with variations in O A L and charge weight but very unhappy with group sizes i was lucky to get 1.1/2".
I tried every load variation and adjustment i could i was getting full and proper forming but crap groups i got other people to shoot it but same results.
I had a lot of once fired WW 22Hornet brass that i had not used cause i wanted to start with new brass so i die formed abuot 20 of them annealed them loaded them up with a 10.8gr charge of Viht 120 pushing a 20grV/M loaded out to light touch with a Cci400 primer and first group was a 10 shot 5/8".
Sorted!!!
At this time i had a lot of eye problems and cateracs so could not see close properly so out with a magnifying glass to look at Prive cases and to be honest i did not think that any company could sell cases with flash holes as bad as this some different size flash holes some off center most had a split across the flash hole and in a couple the split had gone deep enough to enter the case internals. I scraped the lot. I had bought them of a gunshop in Wrexham center about 4 years ago but they came in sealed bags so cant blame them.
In conclusion them cheap cases cost me a lot off money not just the cost of the cases the time involved in forming / annealing /load development and back and to out to the range (big field )
Wally
Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 PM

Wally - I've been trying Don K's loads with H322 - seems to be working in my AH as well, using the Nosler 20gr. HP's. The ballistics aren't as good as with my normal powder, but they are good enough for rats. Brings the AH down to the HH level - oh well. At least I was able to obtain 2 pounds and at 13gr. will last a while. 13gr. just fits in formed brass. I reduced that for FF loads. .
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Supporting Member

Hmmm there are about 25 pieces of .35R brass laying next to my coffee pot on a kitchen towel.

Does everyone have brass on their kitchen counter?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:38 AM

Nope... but I do have 10 annealed 17 Hornet cases drying on the windowsill
Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Hmmm there are about 25 pieces of .35R brass laying next to my coffee pot on a kitchen towel.

Does everyone have brass on their kitchen counter?
Nope, just two rifles perched on the dining room table.............
Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilleyman View Post
Nope... but I do have 10 annealed 17 Hornet cases drying on the windowsill
You dont need to dunk brass after annealing its the heating that anneals it not the cooling.
Wally
Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM

I started reloading in 1953 . I now have the first box of dish head cartridges I have ever seen on my reloading bench. When fired from my new CZ 527 Varmint 17 Hornet rifle the primers backed out until they were even with the outer rim of the dished base of the case. The cases have ben neck sized and de primed. Most all of the inside flash holes are free of burrs. I have two primer pocket reamers which fitted into the pocket with a reasonable fit. My first five boxes of Hornady ammo was purchased December 2012 when I knew I wonted a 17 Hornet rifle. Last week I received five boxes of 17 HH ammo that were back ordered since March 2013. They look ok. Last week when siteing in my CZ rifle with the dish head ammo off a bench rest at 100 yards I got sub 1/2 inch groups except when using the set trigger. The following day I shot a few prairie dogs before the wind came up. I m disappointed in the case base but the darn stuff works fine. I have yet to see how it reloads. Its time for me to get an other cup of jo.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:12 PM

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/ke...3497f.jpg.html

Some pictures of 17 hh primer pockets.