Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Default Range finders

I've been debating for years on getting a range finder.
When I stopped at Cabelas and Sportsmans this past weekend. The clerks were not that impressive on shooting ground squirrels. The knew how to use them with archery, but when I asked about using them for rifles at ground squirrels. They kept telling me that would give you an unknown reading. You'll need something large to get a proper reading off of. What?
Okay - why would I want something that wouldn't work out on a ground squirrel? I like to sit or walk around and shoot. Not set up an exact range with cones to get a proper reading off of.
I know there are a lot of range finders out there, are they actually used in the field?
Southern Idaho across the swan falls area I shoot in. There isn't a tree any where. Once in a while there are rock out cropping. Would I be able to range off a tumbling tumble weed?

Pro's or con's welcome
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM

Chigger , Pdog country is not much different from Ground Squirrel country from what I hear . I've had several LRFs ( Laser Range Finders ) and they all worked on Pdogs . I could always Range on something like a mound near the Pdog . The effect of Wind on the Bullet usually was the big variable in long range hits . An important consideration is what is the Maximum distance you will be shooting ..... which is ??? Anyway , My Leica 1200 Scan was good out to roughly 800 Yards while the Swarovski was about double that . There are differences in ergonomics and the Ranging Reticle Shape , Thickness , and Color ....something else to consider for individual preference . You will just have to handle them to judge for yourself . I preferred the Leica in those respects , although I settled on the Swaro for the Ranging ability ....YMMV . The Leica 1600 is the one I see most medium range shooters Prefer , or if you have really Long Range ambitions and deep pockets go look at the multi-thousand Yard Models out there . If you don't like any of the LRFs go find an old Military Optical Type . They are Big & Heavy , but will Range just about anything you can see .... and hit .... with any super Long Range Rifle out there . If you decide on a LRF , test it out right away when you get it . My experience is that all LRFs ( even of the same Model ) are not created equal .

Last edited by xring; 04-14-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

The long and short of laser range finders:

http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...-rangefinders/

My choice was the Leica CRF 1000-R
Old 04-14-2014, 09:01 PM

+1 on the Leica. I have used several brands in the PD fields and although you may not laser the dog itself, you can usually hit a mound or a rock or something that will bounce back to you. The Leica has been the best I have used. For those long distance shots and if you want to walk about checking hits, we just laser back to the truck or shooting bench for an accurate reading.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:21 PM

I have a leica 1200crf and was impressed that I could range a gopher at 519 yards , took my shooting partner a few rounds from his 22-250 but finally got him .I like the leica for it size and ranging abilities .I usually put the lanyard thru a botton hole on a shirt pocket ,and carry it there.
Chris
Old 04-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

I also have an older Leica that I have had good luck with. With the higher priced LRF's, like the Leicas, you get narrower bean divergence. Which means that the laser is more narrowly focused and less likely to pick up extraneous things out on the edges. Cheaper LRF's have less beam divergence so sometimes pick up readings on things that you weren't trying to target.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:18 AM

+1 for leica 1000 . I started out years ago with a scout 450 then to a bushnell 1500 it was okay but when I got the leica 1000 there was no comparison. I use them for shooting groundhogs and although they may not range the hog they will hit something close. My hit ratio has gone up with them.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:48 AM
Supporting Member

I have an old Newcon which does what I need. Not real good on small objects.
About 50 mile from where I was going to shoot PDs, I suddenly remembered
my range finder was at home in the safe. A trip to Cabelas in West Nebraska
I took a couple range finders out side and decided which one I liked best.
Out in the desert sun it turned out to be useless.
For the life of me I don't remember what kind it was since I dropped it off a Cabelas on the way home.
I don't care for a real small one. I need to get both hands on it to hold steady.
What I am getting at is buy something you can take out for a couple days and take it back if it don't work for you. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:15 AM
Supporting Member

You didn't mention price so I'll pitch in with Harold! I have a 10X pair of Leica Geovids and along with my BR Pivot 360 degree swivel bench they are without doubt my two most favorite non firearm shooting accessories!
I had a Leica 1200 LRF preceded by a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 and things were consistently getting better right up till I took a look through my first pair of Geovids on a P-Dog hunt with Ric N. and Dan C., I was toast ! Not only are they a great rangefinder they are also an outstanding set of binoculars! I had a set as fast as I could stash the cash , I love em!
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Lightbulb The older......

....Leica Geovid 7x42 has the finest beam divergence.

Then there's the Leica Vector........

A quick search of my older posts should show some pics.

Kevin