Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default 20-223ai

Anyone done one of these? Would like some load & performance data. Thanks in advance for any help. Joe
Old 04-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Supporting Member

If i remember correctly Badger Bob owns the reamer. Maybe he'll chime in.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Supporting Member

My reason for asking is that I need to either get a reamer for 20TAC or maybe this wildcat. I already have several 223AI rifles, dies & reamer, so thought the 20-223AI might be an easier cartridge to do plus a little more performance than the TAC.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:16 AM

Ya I shoot one, and have chambered a couple others. Its a cool little cartridge, very easy to form. For dies, I just ordered a 223AI Redding S full length sizing die and use a .230 bushing. This was my first experience with the 20 caliber, even though I started out with a used Remington 204 barrel and a Savage Axis for a donor rifle I was amazed at the accuracy of the thing. The cartridge mirrors the 204, but the brass is way easier to find and much cheaper if you chose to use mil brass. The rifle its self is fairly light, and not my idea of a bench gun, but for a light carry gun its great and has taken quite a few coyotes and even some rock chucks. All the other rifles I have chambered for this little round have had similar results.

Bob
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 AM

Default 20-223ai

BadgerBob.. I have been lead to believe the Axis savage rifle has different thread pattern than the standard Savage's. Did you have to have special threads to fit a barrel to that donor Axis ? I have thought about a Axis donor and having a smith fit another savage barrel as you mention (except you used a Rem, is that right ?) and was told No. Info please. Bill K
Old 04-15-2014, 04:50 AM

The threads on the my Axis rifles have been the same as any other savage, one thing we did run into was that Savage puts some sort of crud on the treads that almost looks like tiny BB's and grease. It almost looks as though its there to keep the "Hobbyist" from pulling the barrels. On this first Axis I did use a Remington Barrel, I cut the old threads off turned it down to 1.05 and threaded it to Savage pitch and rechamberd it. The other Axis rifles and some other Savages when using an old Remington barrel its possible to just thread over the existing 16 pitch threads and save the shank if need be.

Bob
Old 04-15-2014, 05:13 AM

Default 20-223ai

Thank you Bob, for clarifying that. Bill K
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 PM

Default 20 223 ai

Yes I have one. Ackleyed it for on reason, to slow down the case stretch. Its on a Savage rifle, I shoot it pretty hot and was tired of wearing out so many cases. It is my main prairie dog gun, the 40 degree shoulder has saved brass and a lot of trimming and yes, very accurate. sgtg out
PS. The only concern would be feeding. PM me I'll send you some cases to try. sgtg out

Last edited by sgtg; 04-15-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

Savage PTA, Pac-Nor 28" 8.5tw 3 lands.
3640 fps with the 55 grain Berger using Reloader 17 and a 2.450" COL
Fire Forming load, 3950 fps with the Sierra 39 grain Blitzking and H4895 would have to look up the COL. Reamer was spec'ed for them by Kiff at PTG
Love this cartridge! Nail a Chuck on Saturday, farm that wants them eradicated, at 400 yards with the Berger. Chuck was only 3.82 lbs. and was down feeding towards me. In the front and out the back and man did I get a nice air show! Due to the distance I was able to get back on it but with the 55's recoil is enough to take it off target even with the full bull contour. Did I say I love this caliber? Easy hunt-able fire forming loads, Lapua cases, High BC bullets......
Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 AM

any chance of getting some specific load data ?...this sounds interesting