Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 PM

I think this is a really neat project.

Aaron
Old 10-20-2018, 01:49 AM

that is absolutely awesome!
Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 PM

The squirrels are piling up to the little cartridge, mostly from the S&W the since I finished it up. I'm very happy with how well the little cartridge is doing keeping the tree rats in check.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 AM

man this is making me want to try a little booger like this! I've long wanted to make a 32acp rifle for the same reason. I even made a swaging die to turn 00 buckshot into tiny swc hp bullets.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Squirrel, may I ask where you found your .32 swagging die? I have a Remington #4 in 32RF that I am converting to CF.

Thank you
Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 10-25-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
man this is making me want to try a little booger like this! I've long wanted to make a 32acp rifle for the same reason. I even made a swaging die to turn 00 buckshot into tiny swc hp bullets.
I've got a Remingtn 581 in .32 S&W long that shoots .32 ACP like it was made for it. Using jacketed bullets at around 1200 FPS I've shot numerous groups in the .3's at 100 yards with the rifle. I've also got several other rifles in .32 S&W long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_view View Post
Squirrel, may I ask where you found your .32 swagging die? I have a Remington #4 in 32RF that I am converting to CF.

Thank you
Lowell
Are you leaving the RF chamber alone and turning the #4 into a .32 colt, or rechambering it? I've got a couple of swaging dies for .32, I've got homemade dies and Corbin dies. I had a set of Herter's dies at one point, and I've had CH4D dies as well.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 AM

I thought I would rechamber the #4RRB to take the .32 S&W Long Cartridge because the cases seem easier to find and it will clean up the chambers a bit. I will still load to BP pressures, should be a fun gun to play with. I also have a .204 barrel fitted to the frame so I can talk about shooting it on here as a 20-32 Long. I have had some help from a couple of guys on this forum. This won't happen now until we get settled in Wyoming.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 10-26-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:

Thank you
Lowell
I found the bolt that I used in a random bucket in the garage

I made it myself from a grade 8 bolt. I profiled a swc shape after I turned it down to size and modified a lee push through sizing die. then I profiled a tapered pin and drilled a hole into the "swaging pin" set it in and soldered it.

I tumble the oo buck pellets in some 45/45/10 lube then run them into the die. after they swage I whack the bolt and out comes a .310 little stubby swc hp bullet.

I have yet to try them though. I sold the wifes 32 H&R revolver shortly after making it and never have owned another 32 since. I assume you could use 0 and 000 with some adjustments if you wanted a lighter or heavier slug.

I have a 30-06 barrel laying around that I plan to spin up for a single shot 32acp survival rifle. Have had the plans drawn up for a few years now just got too many irons in the fire currently. That will likely be my first homemade gun project.

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 10-26-2018 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I thought I would rechamber the #4RRB to take the .32 S&W Long Cartridge because the cases seem easier to find and it will clean up the chambers a bit. I will still load to BP pressures, should be a fun gun to play with. I also have a .204 barrel fitted to the frame so I can talk about shooting it on here as a 20-32 Long. I have had some help from a couple of guys on this forum. This won't happen now until we get settled in Wyoming.

Lowell
Makes sense. I rechambered all of mine eventually to the .32 S&W long. The little #4 RB works really well as a .32 S&W long!
Old 12-27-2018, 07:18 PM

The ladybug, in the contender, and the S&W has now accounted for over 100 squirrels in a little under a year.