Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 09-19-2018, 11:24 PM

Most of it was machine work, they had found action threads that need cleaned up, bolt race ways that they didn't like. Over all they seemed to think it took a lot more work to square everything up.

I have read where some pretty amazing things have been done with these actions. I myself have not totally ruled them out as of yet. I am going to see what pieces and parts are available for these.

Are your magazines blind, or are they the detachable? Staggered or straight inline? Do you see any length difference in the 223 and 204?
Jeff
Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 AM

The Rem 783 action is gaining popularity, Nortland Shooting supply maybe a source for a barrel nut 17. They use Shilen tubes.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:17 AM

Default Savage prechambered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Most of it was machine work, they had found action threads that need cleaned up, bolt race ways that they didn't like. Over all they seemed to think it took a lot more work to square everything up.

I have read where some pretty amazing things have been done with these actions. I myself have not totally ruled them out as of yet. I am going to see what pieces and parts are available for these.

Are your magazines blind, or are they the detachable? Staggered or straight inline? Do you see any length difference in the 223 and 204?
Jeff
I have had no issues with threads, etc. The only bolt face I had to have worked on was the one 223 bolt that my gunsmith opened the face up to take the 6.8 spc case for the Valkyrie.
Magazine feed, straight line. the 223 magazine feeds the 204R with no trouble. The 221 case and the 17 Fire ball, will not feed well with more than two in the mag, so, being I only shoot these heavy barreled ones on bench for target or pivot/rock chucks, I have a single feed mag in them.
Give one a try, think you will be surprised how well they can work. Bill K
Old 10-07-2018, 03:04 PM

Looking to this bunch as to advice and or input.

Narrowed down to Shilen, leaning hard towards NSS for the work.

Twist. I am happy thus far with the 25's from Hornady, though I would like to try some of the heavies if the opportunity arises. Shilen recommends 1-10 for up to 30. 1-9 for 30 and up.

Weight. I am not going to pack this more than 0-100 yards max, so I am not concerned. Bull barrel is my first choice and varmint is my second. Any down falls to this?

Length. 26" unless a majority says I will gain some speed going longer for the $.

Barrel grade. Select match and match. Select match is where I am leaning, cost difference is about the price of two boxes of bullets or a pound of powder, no big deal.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42 PM

Go with the 1/9, My Shilen select match(1/10)has been easier to work loads with the 25's then the 30's. In fact the 25 gr vmax (longer bullet) took some experiment.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:35 PM

Please keep us updated on your progress. I've purchased 4 or 5 savages to scrap the action out of to build deer rifles for my boys. I've owned a few before and they were the most accurate factory I have.
I had planned to try and get contender barrels but for the same money I can have a repeater and not have to teach a kid how to lower a hammer while cold and full of adrenaline.
Hoping to do a 6x45, and maybe a 358 Winchester for me.
Savages are fun to tinker with. They dont win beauty contest but they do put meat on the table. More of a tool then a piece of art. Good luck with your project
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-08-2018, 11:59 PM

That was one of my first wants was a .358WW. Got the barrel from midway, thing is a magnum contour, silly. Ran a couple hundred jacketed through it and switched to cast bullets.
That in turn became a 22-250 with another swap.
Some dislike the Savages, but as mentioned as an out of the box rig, most will out do other more popular rigs.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:49 AM

Yeah I've read those barrels are heavy and that is opposite of what I had wanted. Ashame because it's a good price. Hoping to find a contour lighter
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-14-2018, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I was headed onto building on a Remington, but the Savages have kind of taken over on my varmint rigs.
Anyone have experience with Shilens 17 Remington prechambered barrels.

Looking for something that will go over the top or at least equal the CZ.

The Savage actions have won out. I have about a dozen now and am happy with all of them.
Jeff
I'm a little late but I bought a pre-chambered 17 Remington Savage barrel from The Barrel Man 4 or 5 years ago. I'm pretty sure it was a Shilens but someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has been an incredible barrel for me. I screwed it on a model 10 youth 223 donor and it has been my main coyote/fox gun for as long as I've had it. It loves 24gr of I4320 under a 25gr Berger. Best part is I'll go all season without needing to clean it and it's still sub 1/2 inch at the end of the season.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Your not late, just got a donor action located. Issues with CC company security, I guess that is good as much thievery goes on any more. Bad thing was I had to call them a total of four times to finally get it back on line! First three were a challenge as their English was so slurred from their native language I could not understand a lot of it and had to have them repeat things several times.

Looks like the barrel man is no more. Folks are wishy washy on Shilen it seems. Remarks to the effect that barrel life is half of others,mvarious calibers, nothing specific. I can pretty much get two Shilens for the price of one of the "others". I see no big deal, you get a fresh throat and barrel more often for the same money.

I use to think that setting back or going to a different case to get more out of a barrel would make some sense. Gains little if any in savings, depending on caliber.