Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Default OT 44 mag opinion

Looking for thoughts on a possible 44 mag purchase. It will be used for deer hunting only, no self defense needs. I'm thinking about a taurus or a ruger. In either a 4 or 6 inch version. What are your thoughts between the two considering a lower starting budget . Which barrel length to go with. This will be carried as a sidearm not the primary hunting implement. The gun would not be scoped shots kept under 50 yards. I'm also not opposed to a single action like the blackhawk if that is inherently better or easier to shoot.
If anyone has real world experience it would be appreciated. Not looking for fan boys of either brand just honest discussion of the faults or positives of each. Thanks
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 09-15-2018, 07:53 PM

Default OT 44 mag opinioon

Did have a S&W 44 mag in the mountain version, 4 in barrel and it shoot well, but bucked like you would expect. Traded it off, then about two years after bought a Taurus Raging Bull, stainless with the 8 in barrel and it is ported, from the factory.
It shoots very well, is plenty heavy and recoil and such is not bad at all. The price is much better than the ruger or even a S&W, when you find one.
The single action Ruger's and some other brands would work fine also, for your needs.
I would say check out the Taurus. Loaded with hard cast 240 or 300 grain bullets or the factory one's, more than enough for deer at your range's. Bill K
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 PM

i've never owned a 44mag but have owned a 45 colt that was loaded like a 44 mag. I feel the ruger bisley (better grip/recoil mitigation) in a ~4" model would serve you very well. I've shot a 5.5", 4"mine was a custom job and 3.75". I enjoyed the shorter models but the 5.5" did have a noticeable increase in sight radius.

The bisley grip is noticeably better for controlling recoil vs the plow handle. My co-worker bought one of these not too long back http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...mno=RUKRBN-45X
not sure if they sell a 44 mag version but it would make a nice packin pistol.

I noticed your in upstate NY wouldn't a 357 mag be suffice? or are you wanting the bigger round just because? A 3-4" GP100 is a superb gun they also offer it in 44 special and want to say they can handle warm loads into light magnum territory (want to say a 240@1200 being the magic #)

If your a handloader don't discount the 45 colt. she's a fine ol cartridge with alot of options.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:28 PM

I am a revolver nut at heart. Just got back from the range as a matter of fact,me ringing out a couple of 41 magnums.

I feel like you are wanting a trail gun as much as anything. With your max at 50 yards, we will call it 75, sighted in at 50, running 1-2" high. My vote also goes to the 44 special, that will give you the option of the SW or Ruger Blackhawk and GP-100.
I don't recall what barrel length the GP was, I would prefer no less than a 4" and 5-6" would be great. A bit more sight radius.

I would not rule out a GP 6" in 357 magnum and 180 grain bullets. I have taken several good sized full grown Kansas deer with that combo and a red dot out to 125 yards.
Jeff
Old 09-15-2018, 10:27 PM

Default 44 mag

I have a Smith and Wesson 6” model 629. It is scoped.
I’ve shot one deer with it. For me it’s the ideal deer hunting package.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:29 PM
Administrator

I did a lot of research when I was lookin for a 44. I really want a Smith 29 and almost bought one but was outbid on GB for one we had in our shop. Long story...

But I wanted one in a 4" for SD...bears specifically. The Smiths just aren't anywhere as strong as the Rugers. They don't hold up to HEAVY loads. I wanted a redhawk (not Super) and couldn't find one. That was right when Ruger stopped making them for a while about 5 years ago. I found a great deal on GB and went with a super redhawk that was cut down professionally to 4". Its a bit heavy but will handle anything up to the heaviest buffalo bore +p loads you can feed it. And it's very accurate. I also like the integrated scope mounts. Mine came with a 2x Leupy. I'll kill a deer with it some day.

Now they are making the redhawks again, and I may pick one up if it comes in the shop used at the right price. Little lighter, but doesn't give up the strength of the Ruger action.

Taurus? Well all I can say is we send 15-20 Taurus guns back to the factory for repair for every Smith or Ruger. They can and do have problems. But they do usually get them fixed.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:58 PM

Default OT 44 Mag opinion.

I must have a special item then, as this Raging bull I have is over six years old, has shot heavy and light loads and bullets through it and have never had any issues, what so ever. It just keeps ticking, like the clock.. Bill K
Old 09-15-2018, 11:16 PM
Administrator

Just calling it like I see it at the shop Bill. Taurus doesn't have a proven track record, but you know, I don't think I've ever had to send a raging bull back. They DID however have lots of problems with the raging hornets though. I was eyeing them up for awhile.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Tc contender in 45 colt that I've loaded pretty warm. It has the 410 barrel set up and has never proven accurate enough for my taste and experimenting with a dozen powder and bullets.
I currently have an early colt trooper in 357 mag with 6 in barrel. Haven't taken it out, I've heard mixed reports that they are marginal on deer. Not sure that I believe that. But have no evidence either way. Is a 180 gr bullet the ticket in 357?
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 09-16-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260Ackley View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I have a Tc contender in 45 colt that I've loaded pretty warm. It has the 410 barrel set up and has never proven accurate enough for my taste and experimenting with a dozen powder and bullets.
I currently have an early colt trooper in 357 mag with 6 in barrel. Haven't taken it out, I've heard mixed reports that they are marginal on deer. Not sure that I believe that. But have no evidence either way. Is a 180 gr bullet the ticket in 357?
I myself like the 180 in the 357. a 185gr cast for dangerous game https://beartoothbullets.com/bullets...ategory=17&id=
and i've heard good reviews of the 180gr xtp for thinned skin game. the 180s penetrate deep.