Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Back when I had a dogtown by the family farm, I could get close to 15 shots with the .22H before the dogs would go down. I would start out close in, and they would go down, but the ones further out would stick their heads up and look. With the .223 it was 3-4 shots and I was done. If only I would have had my .25 Marauder back then
Old 10-08-2018, 05:25 PM

My gopher shooting buddy and I use our HMR's out to 200yards where we can get head and chest hits. After 200, the CF's come out.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
One of these days when I get caught up with my projects i'm doing something similar. I call it the 17 Mamba it's a 1.125" case with 30' shoulder and blown out case. Have the reamer just need to finish my other projects. Parent case is .223 rem

fox hunter did his 17 viper (a shortened 17 fireball with a long neck) then a few have been playing with 17 TCM's I think.
That sounds neat! I have the viper reamer now. I NEED to build one!

Aaron
Old 10-09-2018, 03:51 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

There's a big difference in p/d towns.
IF they've been shot up a lot, you drive/walk up they'll go down and stay down til you give up.

IF they haven't been shot up much, they're not too smart, especially with young of the year that are plumb StUPID yet. I've shot a dozen pups from 30 feet and every single one would run to each one to check it out as they were shot til the whole litter was shot. Not an adult to be seen, as they knew the score.

I've found when you get started all of 'em far as you can see are up watching to see what you're up to. IF you'll use the big guns and shoot the furthest one's first and then work your way closer you'll get many more shots before they'll go down for long. I don't think the sonic boom bothers them as much as we think it does. I think they can be tricked fairly easy doing it this way. Seems they get the idea you're just shooting and not going to bother them as all the shots go way off in the distance. Give this a try and see if it don't work for you too. IF it don't, pay attention to how much they've been shot up and how often.

Even the few times I've had trouble hitting one half dozen times I've had 'em just sit there watching unless I happened to hit in front or right close and kicks dirt at 'em with a miss. Quite often if the bullets hit quite a ways beyond them they won't spook. Those out further near the hits most likely well though.

I used an '06 with hot 110's for years and shot over 100 rounds many a time. Just before elk season most years Dad and I would take the big guns out and shoot til we'd had enough recoil. That's the best practice there is prior to hunting season. Mostly we used an '06, or my 7mmag and .300Win/m, but, at times he'd take his .375H&H out and we'd shoot half dozen times each with it. P/dogs stayed up even with such boomers a lot of times. Those towns we were the only one's that shot there. Dad might shoot half dozen shots 3-6 times a year. I was driving OTR and not around for a month or more at a time. When I did get out there. I'd many times shoot 400 a day for 3-6 days in a row and they seldom got the message much. This was within a 30,000 acre pasture and over a dozen towns scattered around. A real p'dog shooters paradise. Since they moved off the place it's totally locked up and they've taken over even Dad's hay field since.

Mostly I've concluded it: "just depends on how much they've been shot up".

Another thing: IF at least half of them are not shot every year, they'll get the plague and all die. Until a big factory moved onto the pasture (Vestes), there was a huge town that quite a few of us worked over several times a summer for well over 20 years. They stayed healthy the whole time. Once we were told the land had been sold and we couldn't shoot there any longer. They had all died before that first year without shooting ended.

Just some things I've seen shooting p/dogs for around 60 years.

I believe the problem with crawl off's even with these hotter rimfires like the HMR and the new ones. The problem is you're just hitting them in the wrong
place. They won't crawl off when head or center chest shot. I've blown the bottom half clear off a bunch and many of them crawl. IF they're on or near a mound they very well may get down the hole before they die. IF out in the open, I've seen a few make it 20-30 feet. It's amazing at times. Just make sure you never reach down to pick one up unless you're positive it's dead. I shot about 7-9 pups with momma jumping up n down giving me hell for doing it. Finally only she was left so I shot her. Hit in the middle with a .223 & 55gr, most of her guts were gone, dragging her back half. I went out to collect her head and when I reached down she lunged at least two feet in the air at me with mouth wide open like a house cat yawning. That made a believer out of me. No, she didn't connect. Just imagine the infection I'd of gotten if she had.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 10-09-2018 at 04:57 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 10-11-2018, 07:40 AM

That was really interesting George. Thank you for posting
Old 10-11-2018, 11:03 AM

White tail p-dogs don't have the great big towns like black tail. But even they seem to benefit from regular shooting. Big area I used to shoot a lot many years ago, got closed down for a black footed ferret release program, 15 maybe closer to 20 years ago. Within a year, there were no prairie dogs to be seen there. Plague. The area has never been reopened and they have never made much of a comeback.

Not sure if any of the ferrets survived, but doubt it.

Marlin .17 HMR with a Spectre II on it is great for pot guts. Very mild report, a 17 gr. vmax splatting a ground squirrel has a louder meat report than the muzzle blast. .17 Mach IV with a TBAC Ultra 7 isn't much louder, still much quieter than a .17 HMR without a suppressor. These are my main ground squirrel getters anymore. Just very pleasant and fun to shoot without any muzzle blast.

Noticed I was able to clear the deck on a few rock chuck houses using a suppressed machine gun this year too. 'Chucks nearly always dive at the first shot. Some may come back up, but not before diving. But with the can, I was able to run off a few strings of kills in a few spots without any of them diving until they took lead.

AR w/Chucks

And the Marlin HMR sporting a muffler

- DAA
Old 10-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Over the years I have shot many thousands of rabbits with a 22LR and sub sonic hollow points fired through a moderator usually at ranges from 30 to 100 yards.

The loudest sound is the strike of the bullet, adult rabbits learn very fast and dive for cover as soon as they here a SMACK, youngsters are not as quick on the uptake and offer follow ups usually. But once they have been shot at a time or two then its one shot only as everything within 100 yards has gobe to ground.

WE dont have many rabbits in the UK now thanks to VHD and huge numbers of birds of prey so dont have a huge amount of experiance with 17AH against them, but at 200 yards you might get a second shot having killed one but certainly not a third shot.

A