Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Supporting Member

Unhappy Say it ain't so NRA

Might be old news but it was news to me. A number of years back I got a hat from the NRA, simple black hat with a gold NRA on the front, this hat.
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/Pro...T+21980-1&ct=e

I had a guy give me some gas about that hat in a local restaurant back before potato-head first got elected so after coming real near to getting myself in a whole bunch of trouble and in my usual congenial way I ordered about a dozen of em and I never leave the house without one on .
When I ordered em I did it over the phone so I didn't see the little caveat "imported" in that ad. Heck, I ordered em about 7 years back and been wearing em ever since. Yesterday my buddy tells me I got a tag hanging down off the one I was wearing and low and behold for the first time I read it, "100% cotton" and under that "MADE IN CHINA" . An American flag on one side and made in China on the tag !!
I have a hard time believing it but there it is, even the NRA.
Just venting I guess cause it don't seem like to many people care.
Sorry if this is to political.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Supporting Member

if they had been made here they would have cost $1,500 each
Old 08-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Default Say it aint's so NRA

Sad to say, you will find a very, very hard time anymore locating anything made or fully made in the USA, thanks to Wash DC and most of the state governments. They are driving most business's off shore, with regulations, tax's and dumb attachments and permits, with fees. Bill K
Old 08-25-2014, 07:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default I'm with you Doug!!

I refuse to submit to the fact that you cannot buy many things that are not MADE IN THE USA. I do have more things than I like which were imported from other countries, but I do try to buy American products when possible. My GM vehicles (Government Made products which really pisses me off) which I bought before government bought into them have many parts from Mexico & Canada. I can accept that. I do not understand why the NRA does not support the American worker more When they offer all these free things after making a contribution, I write in with my contribution, I appreciate the offer but do not send anything unless it was Made In The USA. I personally had some caps made up for our hunting camp, camp name embroidered and location, I chose the American made hat and they were maybe $15.00 versus $10.00 after being embroidered. I recently had an attached garage built onto my house, had real stone veneer installed to bottom of windows, and then chose to have a flagstone installed below the windows to finish it off. The mason pulls in with the flagstone to finish the job and says, you won't believe this, these flagstone are from China which was cheaper than having them having them cut and shipped from North East Pa I couldn't believe it! I know some of you will tell me that some of my current scopes (Leupold) are all imported but at least I think is an American owned company and yes I like my Sako rifles. I in no way intended to offend any of our great national members here on this site, I will not get off my soap box.
Stan
Old 08-25-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Nra

Just look at it this way you're doing your part for open carry in China!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Supporting Member

Default Nra

Doug, way back when I first became an "Endowment Life Member" they sent me a beautiful "Bronze" statue of a Minute Man. Label on the bottom read "Made in China". I was pi$$ed. When I upgraded to "Patron Life Member" I enclosed a note asking them not to feel obliged to send me any "Made in China" prize. They sent me a nice "Made in USA" folding knife, which I gave to my grand daughter.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM

If I remember correctly, there was a stink about this a couple of years ago, so the NRA store created a special link for the made in USA products as a result. Pretty much a half gesture, but a gesture none the less. All of the NRA products should be made here IMO.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM

Hard to blame just the government for this problem. Certainly the unions have contributed. And capitalism in general is a driving force...cheaper labor and higher profit margins...a philosophy American was built on and continues to be built on.

Remember the time when "Made in Japan" was the slogan for cheap, poorly made products? It never made it into a slogan, but made in China at one time could have been a similar slogan. But what I'm finding now is made in China is a sign of a high quality, inexpensive product. I'm torn between my cheapness and my desire to support American workers. However, any more it is hard to find something not made China, Japan, Philippines or other developing Asian nations.
Old 08-25-2014, 11:43 PM
Supporting Member

Sometimes you read that an item was made here in the USA and then you find out that the item was not made in the USA, just assembled in the USA.

Ole
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 PM

Default There is an exception to this trend.........

You would be hard pressed to find any import reloading tools in my room other than a few measuring tools from Japan. Bet it's the same for most everyone else, too.