Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2010, 01:28 AM

Default 17 tac vs 17 predator

Ordered a new 17 cal barrel last week for a new build in the near future. Have got another place in line at Gre'-Tan. I was leaning toward the 17 tac, but the predator seems to be calling out to me. I would imagine that this has been hashed out before but can't find it with my limited knowledge of searching. Would love to hear what you guys think the pros and cons of each would be. Or, if there is something even better. It will be based on a SA 700. Thanks a bunch, D
Old 02-17-2010, 02:14 AM
Supporting Member

How about a .17WCH???????

.204 necked to .17, basically a .17 Predator built on the bigger .204 parent case.....

Shoulder moves forward just like the Predator.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Supporting Member

I sure can't do a comparison as I don't have my .17 Tac back yet and I've never shot a .17 Predator. I do know the Predator was on my mind before the Tac but availability of dies etc. not to mention I already have the .20 Tac forming equipment led me to the Tac.
Both have more than enough horsepower for me .17 Tac dies are a call and order deal.
The .17-.204 would be a dandy as well but I prefer the selection and quality of .223 brass available. I'm using some IMI brass I been holding out on you guy's .
In real world performance I can't see much actual performance difference between any of the three. Over-bore is over-bore, how much do ya need .
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 AM

I like the idea of a 223 based round also. I love the Lapua brass and I also have a thousand or so IMI brass as well. I have all the form dies for the 20 tac as well. Should be a no brainer like you say Doug, but if the Predator will give a bit more speed, that sure makes me lean that way, specialy if you can use 223 brass. Again like you said Doug how much over bore do we need? Like the idea of the 204 based round but will steer away from that due to the quality and quantity of 223 brass. Have a bit of time to decide, so keep sharing. Also, IF a guy were to go with the Predator, wheres the best place to get the dies? How long of a wait? What would you say would be the differance in velocity between the two. About 100 fps? Thanks again, D
Old 02-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Both of the above answers are very good reasons to go with the 17 Tac. In addition to the above, you can use the very good 20 Tac Lapua brass, which already had the 30 Degree shoulder and doesn't "require" fireforming. One pass thru the 17 Tac die and you are ready to go. I have two 17 Tac rifles and feel very good about recommending that cartridge....You will like it a lot...George
Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM
Supporting Member

Evan I have a 17-204 reamer which was modified a little to better fit the brass I can send you the reamer print if your interested.

Hornady can do dies. What the case capacity of the 17 Tac?

ML

Last edited by Mntngoat; 02-17-2010 at 03:26 PM.