Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 AM

Default In search of some info on this rifle

Looking for ANY info on this rifle, as much as I can find was built in late 60's early 70's, was imported by a company in KY, there were only 10 imported, I have serial number 4, they are mini mauser actions, set triggers, barrel is marked 17. Have tried 17 remington and its to long for the chamber, 17 fireball will not stay in the extractor.. Am going to get a chamber cast next week but with all the guys here hoping someone might know something about it. I found one that went to auction in 2009 but they had very limited info

Last edited by alan243; 12-30-2018 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:41 AM

Looks beautiful. Could the action be an older Sako? The wood and finish on the stock looks like some of the older Fajen stocks I have seen from that period. I do know that there were a few 17 caliber wildcats based on the 17-223, which should be a bit shorter than a 17 Remington. I also recall several small calibers, like a 14 and 17 calibers called a "Walker", and they were based on guns made in or around Louisville. They also made the 17 Mach II.

I hope that Kevin G. on this board will chime and add some historical input. He is a big fan of 17 calibers and a great resource. Keep us informed please, and some better pictures might be more helpful.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Alan:

Welcome to the board!

Lovely rifle, Can't tell much more about from here with those pictures.
They're good, but, could use a few more, of the action mostly.

Chamber cast is the way to go. Should be a bunch of prints on here
do a search. Kevin Gullette and Ray H., Alex too are the experts here.
Quite a few others are into such things real deep too.

Good luck.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-30-2018, 04:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Alan:

I just looked it up[ in the '17 Blue Book.
Hate to tell you this, Crusader isn't even listed
in the Index.

Friend Jack said it may have been the name of some
small time gun store.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-30-2018, 04:46 AM

Thanks for adding me. there looks like a wealth of knowledge on the boards... here is the only info I found and its from an auction for serial number 007 in 2009

Description: This is a beautiful example of a late 1960s, early 1970s Austrian made prototype rifle as imported by Crusader Arms. These rifles were all based on a scaled down Mauser style action with a grooved receiver and double set triggers, that was made in the "Tyrol" area of Southern Austria. The rifle and some parts bear the Austrian Eagle proof, with others marked "Tyrol" with "Bohler" marked steel barrels. However each had the same style small Mauser action with a laminated Walnut stock with a unique bulbous forend for a hand hold, with a European style checkpiece with a slight roll-over on the right side with a shadow line. The stocks also featured a ebony type angled forend tip and matching elongated pistol grip cap that extended to the lower toe of the stock. The left side of the receiver is marked; "007 CRUSADER ARMS LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY". The left side of the barrel is marked "17" for the caliber and serial number "007" with the right side stamped with the Austria Eagle "N" firing proof/2069.69" which probably indicates the date when it was made. The bolts were all jeweled and fitted with the traditional front locking lug design with a Mauser top mounted small claw extractor, small firing pin assembly for a fast lock time with a jeweled finish overall. The metal parts were hand polished with a deep blued finish and the barrel not fitted with iron sights.
BBL: 20 inch round
Stock: walnut
Gauge: 17
Finish: blue
Grips:
Serial Number: 007
Old 12-30-2018, 01:18 PM

Default In search of some info on this rifle.

Interesting write up on the auction info, etc. I sure would make a chamber cast and find out what cartridge it is and reload and shoot it. As one mentioned it could be something along the lines of a rimmed or rimless 223 case necked down. Keep us posted on your findings. Bill K
Old 12-30-2018, 03:09 PM

reminds me a little of a Krico
Old 12-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe a Steyr variant of some sort made for import into the US? The rear area of the bolt has a Steyr look to it. Crusader Arms is probably just a long-lost import company and not a gun builder, per se.

I'm curious as to what the bolt face diameter is? Definitely more pictures of the action area, both top, sides and bottom, would help................. As well as a couple of good pictures of the bolt.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-30-2018, 07:37 PM

Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM