Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-31-2019, 02:51 PM

Default 22-250 and Barnes Matchburner bullets

Has anyone tried this Barnes 52 gr Matchburner bullet in the 22-250? I am working up a load for a friend and from the little I have found, this could be a fur friendly bullet in the 22-250.
I worked up a load for him using the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade and while is is very fast and accurate, he is having to spend too much time sewing hides and told me he will definitely not shoot a bobcat with one of them. I personally did not have that issue with them in my 220 Swift but I also do not kill as near as many coyotes as my buddy does.
So, I am looking for anyone who has shot this bullet/caliber combination. My plan is to use H380 and work up a load for him. I did call Barnes and spoke with their technical people and was told they are so backed up they do not even have any load data they can share with me for that bullet.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by WyoBull; 01-31-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Has he tried any of the harder cup and core bullets?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Has he tried any of the harder cup and core bullets?
Historically we have both used the Sierra 55 gr HPBT (#1390), which I absolutely love in my 220 Swift. He has been wanting to try something different and while the 36 gr VG is a little screamer, it is doing too much pelt damage. I thought this Matchburner might be a good one to try.
Do you have another suggestion?
Old 02-02-2019, 04:39 PM
Supporting Member

The big problem with the Varmint grenades is they vary greatly from one batch to another in how explosive they are. Some batches enter and blow up fully inside. Others are much harder and blow the heck out of the off side. You can see this very easily shooting gophers with them and observing the difference in splat factor.

A FAR more consistent performing bullet is the Hornady 55 Grain SPSX. (Spire Point Super Xplosive). The 50 grain version is limited to 3600 fps out of a 1:12 twist, the 55 is designed for the higher speeds of the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Great accuracy at long range and very rarely exit a Yote. The other bullet that works real well to save fur is the Vmax and Blitzking but both are quite a bit more money than the SPSX. Give the old school SPSX a try, I think your buddy will really like them.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
The big problem with the Varmint grenades is they vary greatly from one batch to another in how explosive they are. Some batches enter and blow up fully inside. Others are much harder and blow the heck out of the off side. You can see this very easily shooting gophers with them and observing the difference in splat factor.

A FAR more consistent performing bullet is the Hornady 55 Grain SPSX. (Spire Point Super Xplosive). The 50 grain version is limited to 3600 fps out of a 1:12 twist, the 55 is designed for the higher speeds of the 22-250 and 220 Swift. Great accuracy at long range and very rarely exit a Yote. The other bullet that works real well to save fur is the Vmax and Blitzking but both are quite a bit more money than the SPSX. Give the old school SPSX a try, I think your buddy will really like them.
Thanks, I will look into getting the 55gr SPSX and give them a go.