Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Default 17ccm.......

Got out the Model 38 17 CCM yesterday after many years of living in the back of the safe. Very raw day temp wise...checked the zero at the bench and then did a little (relativity, 150 yd.) short range crow shooting with it. 22gr Hammett with 8.2gr AA1680. Shoots well enough, but not very destructive on crows, kills them, but not very exciting. Just bang, and crow falls. My 17 AH just kind of "shatters" (20gr Vmax) them, black "confetti" rains down. Several years ago, I got some 17gr Vmax's and was wondering if anyone had a good load worked up for it out of the Cooper? Seems like I recall that Gary Wenzel did quite a bit with the 17CCM? Thinking the Vmax might do a better job. Anyway, would appreciate any load data for the 17gr Vmax that works well.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 02-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Default Glad to hear about your 17CCM...

Steve,I hope Gary sees this thread,he is a wealth of knowledge on the CCM.
Would love to see pictures of the rifle and crow.When I was much younger,before really discovering sub calibers I used to shoot crows with my .222 and .22-250.
Crows are very smart and are worthy adversaries to hunt.Keep it up,been thinking a 17WSM would be similar in performance,not quite the same as a reloadable 17CCM but fun as well.
Matt
Old 02-19-2019, 01:18 PM

If Gary doesn't chime in, I can send a link to some .17CCM load data he furnished me years ago. He indicated there are several .17CCM chamberings and several different kinds of brass, including some formed from .22 Hornet brass out there, which could put a whole different cast on said loads, depending on what kind of brass one uses. Definitely a situation to start low and work up really carefully. JMO
Old 02-28-2019, 12:24 PM

Found an email from Gary he sent me several years ago on the 17 CCM, and he liked 7.4gr of Enforcer with the 17gr Vmax. So I loaded up several with 7.3gr. Shot them Monday and got a lot of vertical stringing, approx 1 1/2 inches, over 12 shots. Thinking that I will load up some at 7.4, 7.5, 7.6 and see what happens.....what are your thoughts?
Steev
Old 02-28-2019, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

un-related but most of the 17 ccm rifles were rechambered by cooper at no charge to the customer to 17 bee's or 17 hebee's due to a lack of brass and feeding problems. they took my 17 ccm back and replaced it with a model 40 with massive upgrades.
later the 2 Dan's said they fought over who was going to get to shoot the 17 ccm on prairie dogs. said it was the most accurate 17 ccm they ever shot and they just kept switching magazine/clips untill they found one that worked.

as to loads for the 17 vmax as suggested use 20 gr loads and work up slowly.