Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2016, 12:08 PM

Default Stockmaker named Holmes

Just acquired a .223 built on a Springfield action from the estate of an old friend. Didn't remember he had the rifle and we never discussed it, but I bought it partly because the stock is really, really nice, and partly as something to remember my friend by. Papers with the rifle indicate the stock was made by one John E. Holmes (googled, but no luck). One mutual friend thinks Homes was local to the Broadalbin, NY area and worked with L. R. Wallack in the '50s. He wasn't mentioned in any of Wallack's books, or I haven't found such a reference.

If anyone has information on the stockmaker (not the "actor") I'd be grateful for it.

Once I've cleaned the rifle up, and done some shooting, I'll get a range report out. Timing: spring.

Harold

Last edited by Harold M; 04-08-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 AM

Cool JC holmes

Looks like no one still alive on here has heard of (Or they're like me and can't remember Ha)J.C.Holmes, Harold. I think I knew Mr. Wallack's brother, though, he was called Eli.
Ps. ch, I know.
Ken.
Pps.Gets it to the top.

Last edited by kenbro; 12-02-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Supporting Member

Harold post those pictures on doublegunshop.com under the custom single barrel section. Lots of smart guys on it when it come to the older customs.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:44 PM

I was visiting a forum member last week and we were of course looking and fondling some of his various rifles, noticed on the barrel was the name John Holmes stamped into the barrel reinforce section. This is in the Hunter Valley of NSW over here in Aussie land, wondering if this would be the same fella who made your stock. The name kinda rings a bell, but that could just be from your question in this thread.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Yeah, it would be very interesting to find out more details, I think it was a 17 Rem, and got the rifle second hand. Ill ask around a bit and try for some more info. The stamp was just John Holmes in plain letters. Wonder what the chance of two blokes with a name like that, operating gunsmithing on the opposite side of the planet would be ? Pretty long shot.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 AM

Harold, I made some enquiries through a couple of forums over here, the fella I was talking about here worked out of a city called Tamworth in NSW, he has long since retired. Sorry I couldn't help you with your quest, but I found it curious that there were two gunsmith with the same name, well three if you include mutton gunsmithing.