Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2016, 12:34 AM
Supporting Member

Default Scope tube diameter???

Does a 30mm tube allow more light to pass thru to the eye than a 1 inch tube or is the light gathering more a function of objective lens?
I'm thinking about purchasing a scope that allows more light for later in the day hunting and was wondering if all things were equal would
the larger diameter scope tube be significantly brighter.

Thinking about a lighted reticle also..

TIA Larry
Old 11-30-2016, 12:44 AM
Supporting Member

Default Short answer

It won't make it brighter but it will give you more vertical and horizontal adjustment.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:57 AM

Some cheap 30mm tube scopes have 1 inch internals. In other words, it's a marketing ploy. For some insight in to light gathering:

http://www.scopecalc.com/
Old 11-30-2016, 02:04 AM
Supporting Member

What Chuck said..........

This is a pretty good discussion about rifle scopes if you keep in mind that not everything your read on the internet is gospel. 15 total pages, IIRC............

http://www.opticsplanet.com/howto/ho...-diameter.html

And if you don't buy cheap scopes, the marketing ploys aren't an issue............. You'll get more adjustment in a good quality 30MM scope tube.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-30-2016 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Larry- it looks like the basics have been covered pretty well. I only have this to offer, I do not use any scopes with objective lenses larger than 42mm. I have a inexpensive Simmons 3x9x40 that is freakishly clear at night that I predator hunt with. With not enough moon light out to see to walk, I can clearly shoot at 100yds. A gunsmith who knows far more than I do about scopes said the lens coating was done right on that scope.

I have a Lighted Reticle on a Bushnell that is also for night hunting and I find it distracting at times. It works best on a black back ground.

Last edited by Qaz; 11-30-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up Thanks for the links guys...

Thanks everyone for the feedback. You guys just made my life a bit easier and talking about “ask and ye shall receive” great links you all offered up. Gonna save them for reading tonight.
Last night my wife bought me (surprise) a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 308Win so now I'm in need of a scope for it. Nice rifle and a surprisingly good trigger. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Qaz, is the whole retacle lit or just an aiming point in center of retacle? I'm looking at one of the Leupold firedot scopes that has a tiny dot (and I mean tiny) illuminated dot at the center of cross hairs. I purchased on on sale a year or so ago in antisapation of up close hog hunting with one of my AR's. Haven't even mounted it yet but plan on it soon. I hope!

Larry

Last edited by Larry in VA; 11-30-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Larry, I have a Mueller with the tiny dot and it performs exceptionally well at night. I have a Bushnell cheapo that has the full X-hair lit up. It's useless. Too much glare at night, you can't see a thing. That Firedot will be the cat's meow!
Old 12-01-2016, 05:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

How's battery life on those things??

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 AM

Firedot reticles switch off after five mins. then auto switch back on if the rifle is moved.
I think some European ones do also.
Ken.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Supporting Member

Larry, I think you will like the VX-R scope. I have 4 of them now in various configurations & like them all for hunting/ tactical type rifles. Sometimes you can find very good deals on used ones. Battery life is good, but I would recommend that you install a fresh one at the beginning of each hunting season.