Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Texas

Lots of very interesting info guys. I really appreciate it. However I may even be more confused. Lol. My ideal set up at this time in my life is a good warm area a little bit out of town and to rent a house trailer with a decent garage to tinker, machine, and weld in. Something with low maintenence. I have never lived in a town and really hate to start now. Here where I live the Internet says we get about 50 sunny days a year and that's pretty close. 2 Winters ago it got down to minus 25. That doesn't happen all the time but when it does it sticks with you a while. I do appreciate all the time you guys took to write all this and it's something I can always refer to. Thanks again,
RALPH
Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Supporting Member

I'm sure what you are looking for is available, but you're going to have to choose a location and then probably rely heavily on a realtor or renter service to find what you want. Timing will be key.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM
Supporting Member

Default Relocating

I really think the only way you could do this is to decide on a area as BCB said, Texas is just too big. Because climate is such a big component of this move it pretty much limits you to the southern region. Lot of people come to the DFW area and one of the first things they say is "I thought it was supposed to be warm during the winter". Our winters are certainly nothing like PA but when we get one of our "cold snaps", well the cold just hurts right down to your bones. No real snow, we get ice, and more importantly.....we think we can drive on it To make a move like this my advice would be to pick an area, farther out from a metro area the cheaper it will be. Go there, it can simply be a drive in, rent a cheap motel, they are cheap, in the 30-40.00 range...and drive and look. Find the people handling the real estate in those areas because they also will be handling anything that has to do with the properties in those areas, including renting. Business's multi task in rural areas, they do just about anything that concerns their main business. You may find something temporary that just gives you time to really find what you want. Don't find what you want, throw your stuff in the truck, drive 100 miles, get a hotel and start looking again. I have a friend that moved down from Southern Colorado and did basically just that. Ended up 10 miles south of Mineral Wells and bought 3 acres from a retired couple who financed it. How did he find it? Came down with a map and a plan to canvas as much area as he could, that particular lead came from the local Baptist Church. There are places like you mentioned, you'll just have to put in the leg work to find them.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 12-06-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:24 PM

Jing, I grew up in Pennsy and every time I've traveled to Texas I say the same thing. I grew up in the wrong state. I especially like the Kerrville and surrounding hill country. Check out Luckenbach on a Sunday, pitch a few washers.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
I really think the only way you could do this is to decide on a area as BCB said, Texas is just too big. Because climate is such a big component of this move it pretty much limits you to the southern region. Lot of people come to the DFW area and one of the first things they say is "I thought it was supposed to be warm during the winter". Our winters are certainly nothing like PA but when we get one of our "cold snaps", well the cold just hurts right down to your bones. No real snow, we get ice, and more importantly.....we think we can drive on it To make a move like this my advice would be to pick an area, farther out from a metro area the cheaper it will be. Go there, it can simply be a drive in, rent a cheap motel, they are cheap, in the 30-40.00 range...and drive and look. Find the people handling the real estate in those areas because they also will be handling anything that has to do with the properties in those areas, including renting. Business's multi task in rural areas, they do just about anything that concerns their main business. You may find something temporary that just gives you time to really find what you want. Don't find what you want, throw your stuff in the truck, drive 100 miles, get a hotel and start looking again. I have a friend that moved down from Southern Colorado and did basically just that. Ended up 10 miles south of Mineral Wells and bought 3 acres from a retired couple who financed it. How did he find it? Came down with a map and a plan to canvas as much area as he could, that particular lead came from the local Baptist Church. There are places like you mentioned, you'll just have to put in the leg work to find them.
I have to agree. This can also be quite enjoyable. Also, first impressions of areas can be inaccurate.

Neil
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

BCB:

yes sir, it's been a lifetime ago (for you youngsters!)
since I was trucking anywhere (12/75).
But, I've been back thru parts of it a few times in the last ten yrs.

Don't look like much has changed though. Am sure the interstates in & around Houston must be finished by now. They were being rebuilt in Dallas last time I was thru there.

Bowie: now has chicken shit cops where they didn't used to have any and we woke folks up with the Jake brakes slowing down a bit. Now there's a half block long 30mph zone between the rest of town's 35mph limit. Count on it! you'd better be going 30 when you hit the sign, if not, it's gonna cost $130!! Unless the fines gone up since. Reckon that made things closer to even after ten years of waking them up twice a week.

Jing: go slow thru those lil bitty towns pard!

Still, I like Texas and a great many folks in, around and from there.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"