Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Supporting Member

Default 17 Tac & 20 Tac Report

I just got back from Texas Hunting Coyotes, Fox and Bobcats and Thought I would share the results of some tests with bullets and the two Calibers I used. The 20 Tac I used had a 23 " Pac-Nor Barrel with a 3 groove 1 in 11" twist on a Blueprinted Rem. 700 Action with a David Kiff Custom bolt, a jewell Trigger set at 8 oz., in an H- S Precision Stock. I used 3 different bullets: the 38 Gr. Wildcat, the 39 Gr. Sierra and the 40 Gr. Berger. All three shot very well in this rifle, consistently under 3/8" and shot to the same point of impact at 100 yds. I used Benchmark Powder and with the 39 Gr. Sierra, I got 3805 FPS instrumental. With the 38 Gr. Wildcat Bullet, I shot two Kit Fox, one Bobcat and four Coyotes. The first Coyote was hit just behind the left shoulder and came out the middle of his right shoulder. He spun 3 or 4 times and went down there. He has a very big old dog and was 13" from top of back to the bottom of chest. The Bobcat was hit in the chest on the right side and the bullet came out behind the left shoulder. The next two coyotes were hit in the chest and the bullet didn't exit and they went down there. The fourth coyote was hit in the shoulder on the right side and the bullet came out the middle of her left shoulder. She spun once or twice and went down. The 38 Gr. Wildcat was hard on the Fox. The Berger 40 gr. did about like you would expect. When hit in the chest, they went down and the bellet did not exit. When hit in the shoulder, it always came out the other side and left a hole about the size of a quarter. The first Coyote I shot with the 39 Gr. Seirra broadside at about 80 yds. The bullet when in the right shoulder and did not exit. He went down hard and stayed down. Three were shot in the chest, no exit and stayed down. Two more were broadside from 40 yds., to about 65 yds. with no exit and down hard. I was impressed with all three bullets but the 39 Gr. Seirra would be my choice for Coyotes. I didn't get to try it on Fox or Bobcats but may in Februaly when I go back.

The 17 Tac was on a Stiller Predator Action, Lilja Barrel, 24 " with a 1 in 9" twist, Jewell Trigger at 8oz. in a H-S Precision Stock. The only bullet I've used in this rifle is the 30 Gr. Gold Bullet at 4025 instrumental. The first Coyote I shot with the 17 Tac was 120 yds., broadside and the 30 Gr. hit him in the left shoulder and did not exit. He went down hard and in 3 seconds, his head was still and the tail relaxed. Three more in the chest with no exit, no splash and no dancing or two steping. Several more closer in the shoulder and they went down hard and stayed down. I was very impressed. Eighteen in all over a three day and night hunt. Probably not enough to form any conclusive scientific data but enough to get some indication of bullet performance. When I go back in February, I plan to try the 27 Gr. Gold Bullet in the 17 Tac. That bullet is made on the same Jacket the 30 Gr. is made with and I will be using a new 17 Tac on a Rem. 700 Action with a 22 1/2" # 5 Lilja barrel in and H-S Precision Stock at around 4150 FPS. One of the very nice things about the 17 Tac is that it can be loaded down to 17 Javalina velocities with a 25 Gr. bullet for Fox without losing any accuracy or loaded up to full velocity with heavier bullets for Coyotes and Cats. Just thought you guys might like to have the benefit of this experience.....I'm trying to post a pic but not having much luck....

Last edited by 17 shooter; 11-30-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the info, interesting to read. It still amazes me how many people think the bigger 17's are 'inadequate' for coyote hunting, ha. Are you listening, Brezny?

"Special appetite skill combine with brain lentil size create the deadliest!"
Old 11-30-2008, 06:34 PM

Nice write up on the rifles, the 17 tac interests me alot, I have a tac20 and could just build the 17 tac and use my stockpiled tac20 brass and dies, its just too handy not to do it (good excuse anyhow). Dan C dont get me started about that guy brezny, his articles bother me to the point I have stopped even reading the titles to see what they are about, just go straight past them, he is full of it.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
Supporting Member

This Was my Best Night
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM

Default 17 30gn load

What load are you using with the 30gn Gold? I am waiting for a 1 to 9 Kriger barrel to do a 17 Tac on what is now L461 17 rem. In the mean time I have been trying some 30 gn Bergers in the 17 Rem 1 in 10 and got the following results.

24gn Varget 3800fps
24.5gn Varget 3900fps
25gn Varget 4000fps
Old 11-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member

I'm using 25.3 Grs. of Varget with the 30 Gr. Gold bullets in some very good lake City Brass. Varget was the first powder I tried and it shot so well I didn't try anything else. Standard Deviation as very low and groups were in the 2's and 3's and I like stable powders from Hodgdon anyway so I didn't feel the need to try anything else. I could probably go up 3 or 4 tenths more but 4025 is very flat shooting and groups are as good as I will get with a 4.5X14 scope...Hope this helps a little.....
George
Old 11-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Great Report George!!! Those two rifles you used appear to be working as good as you could ever want! I'm glad to hear that the 39 gr. Sierras worked well on the coyotes. Your experience with that bullet mirrors my experience with them.

I may have to try the 27 gr. Gold bullets after I get my .17 Remington rebarreled.

NRA Life Member