Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

Default A bit late on this question it pertains to the Harrell measure?

I ordered the BR Premium measure for a range setup. Probably shoulda asked this first but...
What is the most coarse powder kernels it will throw consistently? H4198, BenchMark, N133, Varget, IMR4350??
I was kidding about the 4350 .
Old 03-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave Moore

Doug,
of the powders listed I would say in order Benchmark, N133, Varget and then 4350. I've tried them all.
Dave
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Is H4198 left off cause it doesn't meter accurately?
Old 03-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Default Doug, I also...

... use Benchmark and N-133. I've used h-4198, but it's been a time and I really don't remember. N-130 and N-120 are a piece of cake, and one of them usually will sub for H-4198. While the "N's" are pretty temp stable, they are not "extreme."

I also have the little pistol/schutzen measure which works great.

Alex
Old 03-14-2010, 11:47 PM
Supporting Member

My Schutzen measuer throws 4198H with good accuracy. Benchamrk is good too.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Supporting Member

Doug, In my Harrells PM, Benchmark meters very well. I use varget a lot and the Harrells does very well but out of, say, 50 charges, several will be off maybe plus or minus one or two tenths of a grain. Unless I'm loading for P/dogs, like you will probably be doing, I weigh every single charge. H-4198 will be about the same as Varget..I've tried the VVN powders and while they seem to be very popular with some very good/experienced reloaders, I have had some bad experiences with the temprature sensitive problems .It could be my method of using the measurer, I don't know, but every once in a while, I'll get a charge that is one or two tenths over or under.. Its a great Powder measured and I now have two and if I were going to buy another one, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Harrells...Hope that helps a little...George
Old 03-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Supporting Member

I use my Harrells with Varget and H4831SC all the time with no real issues. A tenth either way doesn't matter all that much.

For smoothness, the measure runs great with ball powders like W748, AA2520 and H335.

BR powders like N133, H322, Benchmark, AA2015 all meter perfectly. With the small grain powders, the Harrells measure is so consistent, its boring. I tend to keep a digital scale next to the measure and periodically check the throw, haven't had to adjust the meter yet.

The only one I have used and needed to set the measure light and trickle up with is IMR4064.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM

Doug,

I weighted everything for 600 yd Benchrest ( just to keep the ES as close as I could get), But now I just drop it from the harrell. I worked up loads for my 600yd stuff , by dropping, then would weight to pick out the match load.

All the ball or short stuff works great. Powders like Varget will cut some, but still does well.

Mark Schronce
Old 03-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Never had any issues with any powders I used in my Harrell's, and I used it for all of my load development at the range. Except for the smallest cases, a tenth +/- just doesn't matter enough to worry about even for long range poodle popping loads as far as I'm concerned. For the small cases, like for the three 17 Ackley Hornets I had where a tenth could be a problem if I was loading them on the hot side, I weighed to check. FWIW