Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Default Boyds/Sako

Glad that Boyds is getting into Sako stocks. I have a few Mcmillans on A1 Sako custom guns. The prices at Mcmillan are getting out of hand, as is the wait time.
I'll buy a Boyds laminate for a Sako A1, when they are available.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:56 PM

I filled out their request form for L-461. Got this form response:

"Thank you for taking the time to complete our product request form. Boyds Gunstocks is currently releasing 3 -5 new inlets a week and take all requests into consideration."

To which I replied:

Thank you.

FYI The Sako L-461 Vixen is one of the most popular and iconic older Sako models. It's hard to fathom that at the rate of 3 - 5 new inlets per week, you wouldn't have addressed the L-461 years ago. I look forward to your doing so as soon as possible.

Regards,
etc.

My question is: What "new" models can they possibly be inletting for, at that rate? There's not enough bolt action designs in the world, old or new, to support 150 - 300 new stocks designs per year, are there?

Last edited by brians356; 10-30-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:28 PM
Supporting Member

Default me to

I did the same and got the identical response. Think I'm going to post the link over on the Sako board and see if it will get any traction.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for sending a request.

I have seen things like AK stocks and other oddball stocks added in the last 6 or so months, and I too can't understand, besides getting donors for their tracing machine, why what I think is a no-brainer haven't been added.

It is refreshing that management decided to add new options. I'll bet they got a new program or machine to do the tracing.

Allen
Old 10-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post

I have seen things like AK stocks
Ugh. There goes the neighborhood.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member

Default hmmm...

Well I got a tracking number Friday saying my stock is on the way. That's 10 days from the initial order for a custom stock. Be my luck it'll be for an AK will post some pics when it gets here.
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
Well I got a tracking number Friday saying my stock is on the way. That's 10 days from the initial order for a custom stock.
Which Sako model is it for?

Did you have to send them the action?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

open this page
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

On the left hand side is a drop down menu. Select SAKO for MAKE, and the line below that is MODEL, select it and it will show you the models they inlet for.

No, they already have the LISTED models in their computer program, but some models of guns will be offered only in SEMI-INLET and others offered in FINISHED. The semi inlet needs modifications, I believe all finished have a recoil pad and some form of a clearcoat, or paint.

If you saw my above post, my point was, I have seen when they are adding models they sometimes are in need for actions so they can profile it and use that model to offer them for sale.

And also from above, my guess is more requests came in for an AK than a sako, or... they know more AK's might be out there and owners like to modify them.

Hope this helps,
Allen
Old 11-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Uh huh. Several of us had zeroed in specifically on L-461, I absently supposed you were getting one of those. Never mind.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Supporting Member

Default custom L579 stock

My stock will be a custom 14 1/4" LOP, not flat black splatter like the stock pattern but green splatter, completely finished with 1/4" butt pad, 2 swivels on the forearm plus 1 rear. Price 131.00 which includes 16.00 shipping. They use Laminate on this model which means they are probably using excess blanks with maybe a cosmetic issue since they are painted.