Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-27-2014, 06:08 PM

Default Multiple Guns of Same Caliber?

I've noticed that a number of members of this board own more than one gun of the same caliber. I find myself wanting another 17 Hornet - I own a nice CZ 527 Varmint in that caliber, but for some reason want a Savage 25 Walking Varminter to beat around and experiment with. What are the reasons you all have multiple guns of the same caliber (I'm looking for help to assuage my crazy thoughts)?
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Having a heavy barrel varmint configuration for colony varmint shooting & a sporter for a walk about/calling rifle for furry critters is my excuse. The Savage 25 isn't all that much different than what you have & can not be loaded in a single shot fashion. You must load the magazine for it to feed a round & OAL must be rather short. You may be disappointed in it compared to your CZ. A sporter CZ would be a much nicer compliment to what you already have IMHO. Plus they share the same magazine & both can use a single shot follower. Decisions, decisions!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Default I only have one but

I only duplicate one caliber at the moment (223). I have a Rock River AR Coyote Rifle and my Savage 112BVSS. Both guns are for totally different applications.

I think some guys really like certain calibers and also have a light/heavy gun in the same caliber.

I am also sure several here just have so many rifles that overlap just happens (wish I were one).

Mike.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:33 PM

Having a heavy barrel varmint configuration for colony varmint shooting & a sporter for a walk about/calling rifle for furry critters is my excuse. The Savage 25 isn't all that much different than what you have & can not be loaded in a single shot fashion. You must load the magazine for it to feed a round & OAL must be rather short. You may be disappointed in it compared to your CZ. A sporter CZ would be a much nicer compliment to what you already have IMHO. Plus they the share magazine & both can use a single shot follower. Decisions, decisions!!
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Supporting Member

Default well

I'll take a swing at this. If you have a Varmint, you need a sporter...right? Can't be lugging around a Varmint when your hiking a mile into a stand? And....of course your bench dedicated rifle needs to be uber heavy and a singleshot...right? OK that's 3....don't rule out collectables which fall into that gray area we call "investments", I mean you are a good steward of your money right?.....that's 4 or 6 depending on how good of a steward you are. Don't fall for that dribble that they are not good investments, they're right up there with E series saving bonds....your are patriotic aren't you? How about supporting new chambering's like the 17HH? Don't want them to go turtle and be discontinued do you, common sense says you buy several? Don't forget the efficiency of owning multiples when it comes to dies and components. See....plenty of reasons to own multiples.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:11 PM

This thread could have a negative effect on countless bank accounts!!!

Personally, I don't have any multiples other than the good ole 22RF's. I am not, however, opposed to the idea. Application would be the biggest practical reason for it. Platforms don't seem to be as versatile as some cartridges are. In our house, we also have the right-hand/left-hand thing to deal with.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 PM

Just as some people duplicate their guns, some people (Old Hawkeye)duplicate their posts.
Ha.
Ken.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:02 PM

In addition to what Chuck said, because I wanted them all.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:47 PM

For sage rat hunting, I need multiple guns because I'd rather keep shooting than have to wait for a barrel to cool. At one point I had three .223 Rem but I'm down to two at the moment. I also had two .270 Win but sold one of them. The .223 is my only duplicate caliber right now, but I will probably soon have two .20 VarTargs.

Accurate rifles require good dies, which are expensive. So while I'd like to have a .222 and a .223, I don't want to spend $200 on another set of dies. Plus the .222 will of course be more accurate with a different powder and bullet weight. One caliber with multiple guns has saved me money on dies and reloading components.

To keep the ammo assigned to the right gun, I color coordinate the ammo boxes. For my Savage I used red boxes and for the Remington a green box.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ

I'm a sucker for shiny new objects. So I tend to buy guns in calibers I have because I like the gun. Sometimes it works out, other times not so much.

But it's always fun.