Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:40 PM

Default 20 VT Collet die

Has anyone ever tried to modify lets say a 17 FB Colllet die for a 20 VT?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default this works...

Buy a 204 Ruger Collet die and an extended shell holder. Turn the ESH in a lathe and use the 204 Ruger collet die. MIGHT have to turn a new cap for top of collet die to allow decapping mandrel to be a bit higher, not sure.
Works for a few other cartridges. Search here.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Thanks to a post by Alan in GA a couple months ago, a friend and I purchased a 204 Collet Die and had an extended shellholder modified. By using the appropriate bushing placed over the machined surface of the shell holder and correct mandrel length (available seperately from Lee for about $4.00 each and cut to appropriate length) we can size Vartarg, 20 Duster, and 204 all with one die. Obviously the possibilities of cartridges one can size using a system like this are limited only by availability of a machinist.

Quite possibly a much better way to do this, but it works great for us.

Last edited by M595NUT; 10-27-2014 at 09:27 PM. Reason: information added
Old 10-28-2014, 02:09 AM
Supporting Member

Default darn.....

I didn't even think about a shorter mandrel~!
We turned new, larger die body head caps that the mandrels butt up against, out of aluminum, and threaded them for 3/8" hex socket screws for fine adjustment.
So Lee offers various mandrel lengths? They could be 'made', but as a hobby machinist, I've learned that if something is already 'made', and the maker did a good job, and the price is fair, BUY IT.....our time is worth something, right? : )

Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-28-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:03 PM

I should have been more clear Alan. The mandrels are available in 204 length only. Then after measuring cases we cut to correct length. A fairly easy job really. Extra mandrels are a worthwhile purchase also if one wants to play with neck tension. Chuck em up in a drill and polish .001" off.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Supporting Member

Default got it!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by M595NUT View Post
I should have been more clear Alan. The mandrels are available in 204 length only. Then after measuring cases we cut to correct length. A fairly easy job really. Extra mandrels are a worthwhile purchase also if one wants to play with neck tension. Chuck em up in a drill and polish .001" off.
Yes I figured it out after some deep thought.....lol!
The GREAT thing about these collet die alterations is being able NOT have to 'wipe on-wipe off' sizing lube on a couple THOUSAND 17AH cases getting them ready for a Montana trip! I've never had to FL size a 17AH case, although I DO keep the bolt lugs of my CZ 527 clean and lubed for 'minor sizing' of a case now and then. What we thought was a 'bad characteristic' of the 'thin walled' hornet case has turned out to be a 'plus' factor in that they do NOT have short lives, and easily reload without full length resizing for more times than any of my larger case rifle rounds.

Last edited by Alan in GA; 10-28-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:34 AM
Supporting Member

Couldn't you get the 300 Blackout Collet die and replace the mandrel?

MQ1
Old 10-29-2014, 11:34 AM

I believe you would still have to replace the collet portion as well to accept the much smaller OD of the 20 cal, in addition to still needing to trim mandrel to appropriate length as 20 cal mandrels are available in 204 length only.
Old 10-30-2014, 03:55 AM
Supporting Member

The latest issue of varmint hunter has an article by Mic McPherson about collet die modification. His is rather straightforward for cases of similar length. The top piece, I believe, is mandrel specific (ie calibre) so would have to be changed also. Sounds like something to do this winter! Tom.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:10 PM
Supporting Member

Default collet mods....

Might have done others but remember these:

17 Ackley Hornet in 17 Rem die with turned extended shell holder
17 Mach IV [FireBall] in 17 Rem die with turned Extended shell holder
22 K Hornet in same 22 Hornet collet die modified by drilling out for K body clearance, still works on standard 22 Hornet, just sizes less of the neck, works great.
22 FireBall in 223 collet die with turned extended shell holder
. a 22PPC collet die WAS offered for a while, think I remember Midway USA offering it for cheap on a flier sale page. Should have bought one!

Custom top caps were made for 'fine adjustment' of decap/sizing mandrel, but inexpensive rods are available from LEE and that is a better idea I think. Cheap enough to order several and experiment.

No "wipe on wipe off" of lube for me!