Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-13-2019, 05:21 AM

I have several Weaver t-10 with duplex. I have kills on chucks and crows to 575 yards, and one at a smidge over 700.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:37 AM

That was a great optic used to have one too.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
killed thousands of prairie dogs with a 10 power out to 400 yards. it's more about the shooter and caliber than scope.
I agree. Here's an old sako with a 7x that seems to work fine:

With something flat shooting inside a few hundred yards you probably don't need a fancy reticle. With a steady bipod position, higher magnification can be fun for watching the action, and I've found it useful for aiming though grass/weeds that would obscure a target at lower power.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:37 PM

I have variable power scopes on my varmint rifles and while they range in a top-end power from 9x to 24x, depending on scope, I keep them on 10x in the varmint fields. I rarely shoot more than 300 yards but even when I do I do not feel handicapped by using 10x.

10x gives a good compromise between field of view and magnification. Another advantage of 10x is that by using it consistently it is easier to estimate the size/distance ratio.

drover
Old 01-15-2019, 12:16 AM

OP inquired about using a 10X for the intended task and the distance that you could shoot varmints. Fancy optics, rifles and a good spotter with a good nut behind the trigger are going to give you a whole lot more but that wasn't the question.

What would I feel comfortable with a 10X (assuming decent glass) and a flat shooting rifle? 400 to 500 yards easy enough and maybe more if you don't have to fight wind and mirage. I'm planning on shooting with a good rest so that will help with the nut behind the wheel. As I commented before, the caliber, weather and the shooter will be more limiting than the gun. The problem you run into with "hold over" is that you have to remember what the hold over was when getting out there and the dogs are looking pretty small. If you have a bunch of dogs at 4-500 yards and you are sighted for 200, there is going to be a whole lot of holdover and that is where a different reticle or dial up will make life easier and a bunch less misses.

Don't be afraid to use the 10X but you will be handicapping yourself a little relative to the other options.