Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 PM

Default Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet

I hope all had a Merry Christmas. Mine was special in many ways and I'm thankful for the ultimate savior JESUS. Time spent with my family is the ultimate, but I did get something very cool under the tree this year.

In any event, this post is not about religion, unless you're indoctrinated in the "book of browning."

A dream rifle of mine, ever since I had the pleasure of a .22 hornet introduction, has been a Browning 1885 so chambered.

Thanks to the "power of the internet", I made my dream a reality. Sometimes I really love gunbroker.

I found and purchased this about two weeks prior to Christmas and it arrived a week later. Just in time for me to lap the rings and mount a proper scope (Weaver V16 with custom Lee Dot reticle with holdovers). The rifle came with scope rings/bases/ and a cheapo Simmons. It's amazing to me that someone put a $39 Simmons on a thousand dollar rifle, but I digress.

The rifle appears to have been fired very little. It came from New York State and is in pristine condition regarding metal. Absolutely no rust to be found and the bore "shines like Orions belt in the night sky.", with rifling as crisp as a pringle.

The trigger was in factory form around 5lbs. Turning the trigger adjustment screw until it bottomed out resulted in a very, very crisp 2.75lbs confirmed with 5 pulls on my trigger pull gauge.

I wish the trigger was 1.5 lbs for such a lightweight rifle, but I'm grateful it adjusted down as good as it did and that it is absolutely creep free. Very, very nice trigger for 2.75lbs.

I "cleaned the rifle"; I found it to be spotless. A rarity these days when buying used from Gunbroker. A testament that the previous owner took very good care of this lightly used VINTAGE 1995 (first year production), low wall in 22 Hornet.

Christmas morning at the 100 yard range with my 5 year old resulted in this group with ammo loaded in virgin brass for my A bolt hornet. If that doesn't put a smile on your face, I don't know what will. Off to a great start with this new to me "dream rifle" and I'm already ready for spring.

I've been out with it a few days since Christmas and I love it more and more each time I lay my hands on it. These are truly rifles that dreams are made of. The quality of this 1885 hornet exceeds my expectations. I gave $940 shipped, which I think is very fair considering the market, and considering how well this thing wants to shoot.

Here are some pics. Absolutely no load "development" has begun, nor probably will as it shoots "well enough" with typical "lil gun loads."

All groups shot at 100 yards in 32 degree weather, with a mediocre sandbag arrangement and freezing hands. I can't wait til spring.

This last target was shot "as quickly as I could" with one consecutive group to another starting at bottom left headed right, then top left to finish. A bit of mirage to contend with as the barrel heat was rising in scope view due to the freezing temps. I'm very happy with these hastily shot groups, again 100 yards with zero load tweaking.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 12-31-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 04:43 PM

I suppose some would like to see pics of the rifle..............

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 12-28-2018 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:04 PM
Supporting Member

Merry Christmas to you. Nice gun, always fun when a guy gets EXACTLY what he wants for Christmas.
Old 12-28-2018, 06:49 PM

Looks like Santa was good to Austin! Yours has some nice wood too; always a bonus.

I've been knocking about in the outback for about 15 years now with my 1885 Low Wall in 22 K-Hornet. Accurate, quiet, light to carry all day, and eye candy for fondling.

Not a BR gun by any stretch, but plenty good for "minute of rat"!

The K-Hornet can be quite hard on the local rodent population though....

I predict a love affair between you and that new Hornet.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 12-28-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:30 PM

Default Browning 1885 in 22 Hornet

Both of you have fine looking rifles. Thanks for sharing. Bill K
Old 12-28-2018, 07:52 PM

Very nice. A Unertl would look very nice on either rifle, modern scopes would probably work better on game.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Beautiful rifles! Can't beat the ol Hornet. I'm back an forth on which is my favorite cartridge , 22 Hornet or 22 Magnum. But here lately I think the 22 Hormet is winning out!
Old 12-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Supporting Member

Beautiful rifles both! I like the K'd version on Rick's but Rick, I think he has ya a bit in the furniture dept but then he 's got better photography work so I could well be wrong. I got one too but mines 110 years old in 4 days, same age as I feel now and again.
Weasil, my favorite .22 Hornet load is WW cases with WSR primers using 13.2 to 13.3 ish grains of Lil'Gun with a 40 grain V-Max or 40 grain BlitzKing. Others mileage will and "often" does vary I know for sure.
Ain't these little rounds a hoot?
Weasil you're gonna have to shoot well and often for your rifle to rack up the Skippy tally Rick's rat smacker has. Get to shoot'n my man, we're all counting on ya .
Happy new year fellas.

Last edited by montdoug; 12-29-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 AM

Ten or twelve years ago I handled a low wall in 22 RF with a peep sight. Awesome little gun, but I just couldn't spend that much for a rimfire. As often as I think about that rifle, I probably should have bought it.

Looking forward to field reports this spring.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 AM

Default Great thread...

Very nice rifles,both of you guys.
Hornets are pure fun and in such beautiful packages too.
Matt