Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

You're on the way.

Looking good so far.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM

this is DW360 made into a rimmed vartarg, I shoot these in a martini cadet. your project looks fun. good luck

Last edited by chuckshooter; 01-12-2019 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:08 AM

Looks like I'm not gonna be able to escape a .25 caliber die. What I thought were wrinkles in the case shoulder area are only mostly wrinkles, looks like a few of the cases already have cracks showing. I can't be sure until I get a chance to fire a few rounds.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 PM

So, worried about the wrinkles in the shoulder area, I acquired a set of .256 Magnum dies today. I don't plan to modify them, as I don't think it'll be needed, and I think I can probably use them similarly on some .357 Maximum cases to create a .256 Maxmum too.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:14 PM

WM,

I have formed 22 super jet from 357 mag(new brass is best). I use brass cases fwiw, and run into a 30 Luger die a ways(close to your wanted neck). Kinda like your 06 cutoff die.

I anneal at that time, if that is good or not.............depends I guess. I then run the necked up to 30 cal(a short neck really, whatever felt good) into a 256 win mag sizing die, and out comes the 256 brass. I cannot remember loosing a case at this point, no wrinkles,crushes, etc. Imperial wax is my friend.

I then anneal(sometimes if I remember) and then run into a 22 super jet sizing die, works ok so far. I have 22 super jet reloading dies and a 17 super jet reamer.............actually two reamers, memory you know in the heat of bargain chasing............ . I will eventually get the remaining stuff........

I kinda think..............and just an opinion but before I am torched here......is that about 0.020" is the going rate incrementally from 25 cal down...........maybe 22 down with good coin brass.

In hindsight, I used what I had gathered up over the years for an unknown project, probably a martini cadet or a No.1..........been talked to about a hawkeye clone but not there yet in 256 or 17 or 22 SJ. I used old on hand dies and new dies to get formed brass...............with that said, I wish I would have just built up an advanced bushing die(30 degree shouldered bushings), set up for the brass of the day, and bushings every 20 thousandths.........been less headache in my case.

Keep after it, you will get there.

Last edited by rick w.; 01-16-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 PM

The bushing die is in the works. I have made bushings now in every neck diameter .22 to .35, with 30 and 35 degree shoulder angles. They need to be polished, hardened, and polished again, then the actual die to hold them will need to be made.

So, I have .251", .272", 0.284", 0.293", 0.300", 0.340", and 0.376", with a 60 degree cone on one side, and a 70 degree cone on the other. They are all 0.580" OD and will fit down inside a die body that I have not made yet.

Then I'll get to make them all over again, with an 80 degree and a 46 degree cone, that way I'll be able to generate a 23, 30, 35, or 40 degree shoulder angle.

The big issue is getting the bushings to set concentrically in the die, and I suspect I will need to make die bodies in 0.379", 0.422", 0.445", 0.473", and 0.500" diameter bores to match.

I have a lot of machine work to do before I can call this universal bushing die set done.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:47 PM

So now that I have cases formed, dies made, and a barrel and action about ready, I need to figure out a load. Part of that is working out the internal case volume.

The plan is to weigh a dry, empty case, then fill with water to the base of the neck, and weigh again. This should give case capacity in grains H2O. Am I figuring this correctly?
Old 01-18-2019, 10:20 PM

QuickLOAD software or a friend that has a copy is a good way to go from here. You have the right idea for getting volume of case.

QuickLOAD allows you to specify the pressure that you want to work with and then experiment with powders and weights to stay under your preset level.

https://www.neconos.com/category/Software-2 is the address. It will take some study to make it work. but is a fun and interesting software package.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 01-19-2019, 03:01 AM

To be honest, I figured I'd measure out the internal volume of the case, and compare it to the .22 Ackley Jet, and the .221 Fireball, then see if any of the starting loads are comparable.

I've got a small bag of 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT's, and a half-canister of IMR4198. So far, I've found loads for the .221 fireball using a 50gr hornady FMJ-BT and 17.5gr IMR4198.

I figure that's probably close to a max load there, as it's from the internet, so I need to compare that to my cases. And figure out how to reduce it for the 55gr bullets I have.

Measuring 5 newly formed cases I get 16.9, 17, 17.1, 16.9, 16.8 grains H20, as measured with a fired primer seated in the case, and the case neck filled to the bottom of the neck of the case-not to the case mouth, but just the bottom of the cylindrical neck. Cases were weighed dry, taken off the scale, filled, then put back on the scale, 1 case at a time.

Given that my cases hold slightly less than 17gr of water, I don't see cramming 17.5gr of powder in them being suitable. Approximately how much should I reduce this load to get a starting/fireforming load? 12gr? 15gr?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:06 AM

Alright-so since I acquired a .256 Magnum die set, I formed 10 new .357 mag's into .220 Meteorites today. MUCH better looking case neck when forming with a .25 cal step in the line.

Using the new die order as follows:

.30 cal neck down die
.256 Magnum FL die
anneal case neck and shoulder
.220 Meteorite FL die

I get cases that have correct length necks (0.185") are the same length at the shoulder, the shoulder area forms up with almost no wrinkles or lines in the brass. (Unless I get too much lube on them, then I get lube marks)

Much nicer looking cases-the case necks are longer, there are fewer striations in the brass, and the neck length is perfect to seat a 55gr Hornady FMJ-BT right to the middle of the cannelure, and the base of the bullet is right even with the bottom of the neck. No intrusion into the shoulder area.

I also had to go ahead and make up a dummy of .256 Magnum with an 85 grain FBHP. I have 15 of those bullets laying around that are from the 60's that I'll never likely use, so I figured make up a dummy to measure from, just in case.

This is fun!