Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2019, 10:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I have a couple hundred or so. The Vmax on the other hand I have a bunch, so I guess I won't ever know what I missed out on.

A good excuse to spend some money on some custom bullets and see what they are like compared to mass produced.
Jeff
Or maybe a "good excuse" to buy a set of 17 caliber swaging dies to go along with my 20 caliber Corbin set up. I'm not a big fan of swaging, but I have yet to find a 20 caliber commercial bullet that makes me happy in comparison to my swaged 38 grain HP bullet. Swaged custom bullets have their +'s.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-18-2019, 10:51 PM

Good 17 jackets, isn't that the biggest issue?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:57 PM

Default Jackets

I think some people get a bit wrapped around the axles as to jacket quality.
You can make a very good jacket out of the old 22 RF case. Apparently factory jackets are very good and consistent but I have never seen one yet here in Aust as they are horrendously expensive to import. My jackets vary no more than .001", drawn and pinched trimmed to length. I have shot some amazing groups even a .188". I can not do that all the time but .5-.7" is very normal.
I make a long 17gn for my 17H which is a cracker and matching a projectile weight/ length to the rifle is a method of load development which I am a great supporter of.
I make a 48gn round nose for my 22H which shoots better than a 47gn or a 49gn, so the comment above about a 20cal swaged 38gn projectile working better than all factory projectiles is one I understand very well.

Bill

Last edited by Bills Shed; 01-19-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 01-20-2019, 12:55 AM
Supporting Member

17 jackets are doable with draw down dies..........

As an aside, I just looked on my cellphone and it is almost as warm in Missoula, MT where I am right now (37 deg. F) as it is in the Houston TX area where I live (40 deg. F). Both places expecting 30 degree overnight lows. Good for here, I guess, but Brrrrrrr for Houston weather........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-21-2019, 11:01 PM

Is there an up to date list of bullet makers, along with weights and designs listed here?

Am I mistaken or has Berger thinned the list down also?
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 PM

Default Berger

If you are referring to 17 caliber offerings, then that is quite an understatement as they now list only one bullet.

Not so long ago they listed: 15gr, 18gr, 20gr, 22gr, 25gr, 30gr and 37gr. And I have probably forgotten a few.

It is a shame because we seem to have a growing powder selection now but a rapidly dwindling list of bullets from which to choose.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member