Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-27-2015, 01:23 PM

When I was a kid in the fifties, .22LR ammo ran about a buck a box; when I came home from the service in the late sixties, it was easy to find it at a buck a box; at the end of the seventies you could easily find it on sale for a buck a box, sometimes even less; through the eighties when I first got into the gun business, there was always some that could be sold for a buck a box, same through the nineties. By Y2K it got a little harder to find it for a buck a box, but it was there, up until the Sandy Hook tragedy struck. That was the point where everything went batsh*t crazy both in the areas of price and supply. There have been lots of ups and downs in those areas, but it's like walking on eggshells. All it will take to create another massive and real shortage is a little movement by the guv'mint with regard to guns and/or ammo, and you won't find a thing on the shelves within days.

Be prepared!
Old 11-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

Am I the only one that remembers the $8.88/550 Wal-Mart bulk packs of Federal? (Wasn't only 10-15 years ago?)

Even just 6-7 years I remember buying Fiocchi & HSM 22 WMR bricks for $60.

Lastly, I cry that I didn't buy more cases of the Eley 17 HM2 online for $3.50 box...delivered! I foolishly only bought 11,000 rounds. I dearly miss those days...it wasn't that ago...

....ZBROJOVKA.......BRNO
Old 11-27-2015, 05:30 PM
Supporting Member

TOU, not to digress but we had a local sporting goods store and the gun dept manager's daughter is a National Champion Rimfire Silhouette shooter. Because of her sponsorship by Eley my friend was aware of the .17 M2 being released way before it was. Because of the meteoric roll out on the HMR and the lack of ammo there after I think the owner of the shop ordered ammo for the M2 way early and he ordered "LARGE".
Sadly for him the fantastic little .17 M2 kinda fizzled in the sales arena . I hated to see it happen but the by product was he was selling ammo for $2.99 a box to clear it out, so I bought "LARGE".
Figured I had a lifetime supply but now they tell us (though I sure haven't seen it yet , that the necking down of .22 Stinger cases without being able to anneal em due to the primer in the rim will cause the rims to just split over time. Someone here said they call it "Season splits" and it just happens setting there. Suppose to happen to HMR ammo too.
Who woulda ever thought that the ammo you were stocking up on was biodegradable in the box ?? Course the guy that really filled me in worked at CCI and his answer is I should hurry up and shoot it before it goes bad and then buy fresh ammo . Having never seen a split neck in a M2 or HMR case either one (although I read about it happening to some folks), I hope it was just a guy trying to sell more ammo.
Live and learn I guess. My .22 Long Rifle American Eagle 38 grain HP ammo cost me .79 cents a 40 round box and it still shoots just like it use to 20 years ago.
Enough out a me.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOU View Post
Am I the only one that remembers the $8.88/550 Wal-Mart bulk packs of Federal? (Wasn't only 10-15 years ago?)

Even just 6-7 years I remember buying Fiocchi & HSM 22 WMR bricks for $60.

Lastly, I cry that I didn't buy more cases of the Eley 17 HM2 online for $3.50 box...delivered! I foolishly only bought 11,000 rounds. I dearly miss those days...it wasn't that ago...
I remember the Federal bulk packs at Wal Mart, still have a few that aren't opened yet. I made the mistake of using them on raccoon and a head shot would just knock them out, had more than one revive in the back of the truck. After that I used Winchester Wildcats on the raccoon and saved the bulk pack for squirrels
Old 11-28-2015, 03:24 PM

I also remember in the 90's getting the Federal 550 packs for $8+ and when they were on sale I would get out the door for under $8. Used to buy 10-15 at a time when they went on sale.

After the first .22 LR shortage and it came back WalMart was selling the 550 packs for $17.88+tax. I found a place in KY (Dunn's Sporting Goods) that would have cases (10x boxes of the 550's) on sale shipped to my door for $170. That was cheaper than driving to WM and paying tax so I just started buying cases and having them shipped. My .22 shooting has slowed down some but I still have more than a few sealed cases sitting on my shelves.

Neal in AZ
Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 AM

I have stopped shooting 22LR they can camp on it. For the price they want for most of it I can load plinking ammo. Two years I'll sell the Anschutz or give it to the grandson.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:55 PM

In Brownell's latest email, Frank talks about the shortage of .22RF ammo. For anyone interested.
Ken.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:23 AM

Well I had to swallow my pride and buy 3 boxes of Federal 325 packs for $19.99 today. They had CCI Blazer bricks for $34.99 and CCI SV bricks for $39.99.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:22 PM
Supporting Member

Same prices out here in NJ Bodei. I don't shoot as much .22lr as I used too.

I have one 50 round box of Hornady V Max in .22 mag and think it's time to go to Pocketbroker and bite a bullet also.

Last edited by Stevo; 12-09-2015 at 01:23 PM. Reason: (sp)
Old 12-09-2015, 04:24 PM

Stopped by my local dealer around a year ago and one of the employees asked if I wanted some 22 ammo. The answer was of course and he lead me to the back room where there there was a stack of green and white Remington along with red and yellow boxes of Winchester. Most of it was std. Vel. and some of the Remington was pistole match. By the time I go there the employee feeding frenzy had subsided and when asked how many I could have he said "all your want". At that point there was about thirty boxes left, and at a dollar a box, I must confess to taking it all.
Many or the boxes were pencil dated to the 70's and some still had the stickers indicating prices ranging from 49 to 69 cents per box. I suspect it was out of an estate and the heirs just wanted to get rid of it. An ongoing relationship with your local dealer can sometimes really pay off.
Bob