Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-19-2015, 02:25 PM
Supporting Member

The 17 FB has a 75 to 100yd advantage over the 17 Hornet.

You can get into loading for a couple calibers pretty cheap.

You'll like it. Welcome Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Welcome!

If you could get the 17FB cheap, less than $600 with scope, try it. You may be surprised. You could always replace the barrel with a new one if it's bad. That said, I got the first 17 FB that came in the shop. I have none of the issues reported with brass and the sporter barrel shoots under 1/2". It even shot under an inch at 300 at one of the Saubier shoots. Must have had a sharp, new reamer.

IF the barrel turns out to be a turd, you have the perfect opportunity to go 20 Vartarg (221 FB necked down to 20) to give you the option of heavier bullets and more stopping power for coyotes.

Charlie
Old 11-19-2015, 02:42 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengt88 View Post
Hog Patrol, that exactly the type of advise im after. I may have to pass on it, i was planning to trade an AR-15 i built for it and am unsure when i would be able to rebarrel it. I do not reload personally, but have a friend that does for me. Maybe i ahould discuss it with him 1st. He does all my smith work also.
Still looking for a used price on the Fireball, the scope on it was about $425 new.
Perusing gunbroker, I see the SPS fireballs going for around a thousand and up(which in my opinion is insanity considering the barrels). As another noted, if you could get it for around 600, you'd have the dedicated .17 FB action and parts. If it has an H.S. Precision made stock, 800 would be a fair price. Throw in another 500 for a barrel/chambering and you'd have something you could work with. As far as a friend doing my reloading, unless he is owns a .17 FB and knows it intimately, I wouldn't be shooting them in my rifle. Again, as noted before, it's a "fussy" round and in my opinion, not a good round for a newly minted reloader.
As far as scopes being sold with rifles, that just creates more work and unless I can peddle it AS IS on ebay or one of the forums, I would not buy a rifle with one included. You don't know if it has ring marks, if the rings were tightened to the proper torque, if it was dropped, turrets turned past their stops, banged or otherwise mistreated. Mostly it's just a way to unload a scope they didn't want or didn't like. Hope this helps!
Edit: The Hawkes are Chinese if that makes any difference.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...s=.17+fireball

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 11-19-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:58 PM

Default Hawke Scope

I have experience with Hawke scopes. The lower price point one had to be returned due to clarity issues. They are commonly use for air gun shooting out to 100 yds. They are not really clear at distance. IMO for shooting out to 300 yds, get another scope. When you check the retail prices you will see that they are not going to compete with other well known scope manufacturers.

However, their customer service is incredible and personal. I would equate it with Vortex or Leupold.

Chuck

Last edited by charlesasmith; 11-19-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:09 PM
Administrator

FWIW - the SPS Varmints have tupperware stocks and sold new for $499 or so. For them to be going for $1000 now is beyond ridiculous. You can build a custom for that using better parts...which may be the better option, overall. It IS a fantastic caliber. Agree with the Chinese (junk) scopes. If he paid $450, he got ripped off.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
FWIW - the SPS Varmints have tupperware stocks and sold new for $499 or so. For them to be going for $1000 now is beyond ridiculous. You can build a custom for that using better parts...which may be the better option, overall. It IS a fantastic caliber. Agree with the Chinese (junk) scopes. If he paid $450, he got ripped off.
I checked GB.com Yes, Tupperware!! Two weeks ago, I put one in the recycle bin. So for a grand, the only thing worthwhile is the action and bottom metal/magazine parts. A thousand bucks?? Yeah, ridiculous.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Wow, lots of great responses. I feel the caliber itself is ideal for my uses, which will be primarily fox. The previous owner used it for this purpose as well and had a good deal of success with the rifle. I will be trading an AR-15 for it, not purchasing it outright. I do personally plan to get into reloading but would prefer to be mentored by someone with years of experience. My friend doesnt really have time for this as we both live a good distance from each other. I may pass on this rifle as i am really enjoying the CZ .17Hornet with factoey Hornday ammo. What do you gentlemen feel the max yardage of the Hornet is?
Old 11-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
+1 on his post. I have owned the SPS Fireball since it came out and absolutely love the caliber. Mine is the heavy barrel which is a bit clunky as a walking varminter. I also shoot a T/C Encore with an MGM custom barrel. Both guns shoot tiny little groups. Groundhogs, fox and coyotes hate these guns! The only problem with the SPS was the Remington recall on the model 700 triggers. Might want to see if it was repaired. I would think $600 to $650 is fair for the gun and bases since most guys who have Fireballs hang on to them and Remington failed to continue marketing this great caliber. Finding factory ammo is tough so be prepared to reload or pay premium prices for loaded ammo. If I didn't either caliber already, I'd pick the Fireball for more versatility to shoot further and with a little heavier bullet if you want to.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Supporting Member

I bought a very early sporter weight 17 Fireball in the 700 SPS format when they first hit the market. The rifle I bought has had one modification to it; it's now residing in an H-S Precision sporter weight stock just because I like the H-S stocks for a carry rifle.

Mine has shot both factory ammunition and my hand loads using the fired brass extremely well. I have no complaints as far as tomato stakes go. The barrel cleans up easily and I find it to be no different from the three 700 Remingtons I own in 17 Remington which are also all very good shooters. I'll add that the rifle shot extremely well with the plastic Remington stock on it also.

I guess you can count me as the sole owner of a good factory sporter weight Remington 700 in 17 Fireball.......

I also own a CZ and a Ruger in 17 Hornet, and both rifles shoot well. If you're gong to do much coyote hunting, I'd pick the 17 Fireball or even something in a bigger 17 cartridge. For smaller game the 17 Fireball will probably work 100% of the time.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 11-19-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I guess you can count me as the sole owner of a good factory sporter weight Remington 700 in 17 Fireball.......

-BCB
see post #12 above...you are NOT the only one.