Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 09:16 PM

Default N120 -17 Ackley Hornet Question http://www.saubier.com/forum/images/smilies/confused

Had an interesting thing happen Sunday afternoon....deer hunting got slow, so I put out the crow call and got out the 17ah, and had a wonderful hour and a half. The thing is that out of 26 rounds fired, 8 had blown out the primer pockets...this is the same load of N120 and the 20gr Vmax that we have been shooting for the last 8 years, with zero problems. The N120 is out of the same 8 pound container that it originally came in. It's all the same lot. Accuracy was perfect all through the shoot. We pulled the bullets on all the balance of the unfired rounds and weighed the powder charge, and it was spot (within 1/10th of 1/10th of a grain) on in every one at exactly 12.2gr. Measured the primer pockets on the ones that blew out and they are 005 larger than new brass.

Obviously, something caused a large increase in pressure in those cases to blow the primer out. The other fired cases looked perfectly normal just like always. Wondering if any of you out there have experienced anything similar with N120?

The bullets were also mic'd and they are all consistent. So it seems we are down to inconsistently soft/hard brass or inconsistent internal volume?

We've been shooting this same exact load for years out of the same batch of powder.....and are puzzled????

Any thoughts from you guys would truly be appreciated...
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by fosters; 11-19-2015 at 09:19 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 PM

Steve
I had the same problem with a 20 Tactical. Called the bullet manufacturer and the powder manufacturer. Both agreed charge was well below max. They suggested bullet could possibly be seated touching lands and causing pressure spike. Double checked and this was not the case. I was developing load so had no past experiences to compare. Finally got a suggestion to clean bore. Did not have MUCH fouling at all, but once the copper was out the pierced primers disappeared. Have since increased powder charge (same lot) with no problems at all. Not sure if it will help but who knows.
Safe shooting
Doug
Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 PM

Certainly seems that you are taking a methodical approach in identifying the issue. Is this a new batch of brass? Old brass that is starting to get hard necks? If not, I too would wonder if there is build-up in the barrel and/or check for consistent seating depth of the bullets as Doug mentioned.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 PM

How long had the rounds been loaded? Sometimes on older loads or in the right conditions the case neck and bullet can somewhat fuse together. I've had that happen before. I had to adjust my seating die a bit lower and just break them loose, problem was gone. I no longer load large volumes unless I plan to shoot them up sooner than later.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:06 PM

I use N120 in mine. My first thought is cold weld if the rounds have been loaded for a while. 12.2 is a pretty stout charge and a little extra resistance might do it.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:53 AM
Administrator

12.2gr of N-120 is borderline in the 17AH. One of my rifles would fire several of these loads then blow or loosen the primer. Think this rifle had a smaller chamber than the other two rifles I was using, but never actually measured it to be sure.

Sonny Pruitt has found the same thing.

12.1 gr has been my "go to" load in the 17AH for a long time.

Alex
Old 11-20-2015, 11:04 AM

This box of ammo was loaded in December of 2014. That's 11 months.....would that be long enough time to create the "cold weld" that was mentioned?
Steve
Old 11-20-2015, 05:12 PM

I have inconsittant internal brass problems in my hornet i use 11.7 gr off bench mark in one case its well below the neck in other it just fits into the case i have eliminated all cases that it fills upto the neck and have had no probs since hope this helps
Old 11-20-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster's View Post
This box of ammo was loaded in December of 2014. That's 11 months.....would that be long enough time to create the "cold weld" that was mentioned?
Steve
No expert but, I would guess it would depend on storage conditions. Sure wouldn't rule it out.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster's View Post
Steve
Not sure, depends on the storage conditions. One way you can check though is by seating a few a bit deeper and compare the pressure required to move the bullet in the neck. You can feel it compared to normal seating pressure. If it is bad you can feel it pop or brake loose.