Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-22-2015, 03:26 AM

Default 17Hornet ammo...

when the first of the Hornady ammo came out there was some of it that was dished on the base end of the brass, allowing the primer to back out a bit upon firing... this brass was also reported to have bad primer pockets in them, loose, not to uniform depth etc... has anyone loaded any of this brass and what were your results?...

I have right at 4 cases of this ammo, shot a couple boxes of it of both the dished and the good/flat bases... it seemed like the good/flat based ammo shot better... of the ammo I have 2½ cases are the good flat based ammo so I still have plenty of ammo and a good supply of brass when I have it shot up...

my question is I guess, is it worth keeping the dished base cases or is it to much hassle loading them?...

by the way anyone out buying 17 Hornet ammo check the lot # on the stuff you're buying, #312xxx is the dished, #314XXX is the flat based cases...
Old 11-22-2015, 05:48 AM

As you reload and fire the dished cases, the heads flatten out with multiple firings which bells out the primer pockets and makes them loose. I do not know of a solution to this problem. I still have some of the very first run of the loaded ammo and the dishing of the case heads is very pronounced. Larry
Old 11-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Just checked mine and you are correct about 312 and 314. I also have a few boxes or 313.

312 is definitely dished and the primers are copper colored. 314 is silver colored. 313 is silver.

Cannot tell whether the 313 is dished. If it is, it's not so much as the 312.

Montdoug, you bought a ton of 17H ammo at the very first. What lot?

Alex
Old 11-27-2015, 07:44 AM
Supporting Member

It's all gone Alex so I don't know.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:49 PM

Very first lot was 3120311 as far as I know. I still have about 10 rounds of it. Larry
Old 11-28-2015, 01:17 AM

Larry... so what you're saying is if I were to load the 312XXXX lite I may get a bunch of loadings out of them till they get to the point of being useless... I have some of the 3120311 lot and some 0541 also...

MD... you don't roll your own?... man we live way to far apart, or I'd take all your once fired brass in a minute... my sister and bil live up there, but don't hunt/shoot and I have a cousin and her husband that do hunt but I'm not sure if they load... unfortunately I've not had the chance to talk to her in years...

Alex... I will keep my eyes open for some of the 313XXXX and check them out...

thanks for the replies one and all... Dale...
Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

I have a bunch of the original dished faced Hornady ammo. If it was easier to do from up here I would have sent it back to Hornady but I shot it instead. The left over brass loads up just fine, and I am running 3700 FPS with Lil'Gun. The dished face annoys me but it has't had any affect on the loaded rounds. I use the Privi formed brass I made most of the time so I only have 4 or 5 loads on them. I can't say how long they will actually last but I wouldn't be afraid to load them till they wear out. My bet is the primer pocket will go first because I had to uniform them to get consistent primer fit.