Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 11-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Supporting Member

Default OT youth first deer hunt unsuccessful… or was it

A full hard week of deer hunting trying to get my daughter her first deer opening weekend plus fill my SWB tag. The odds don’t seem to be in our favor, moon lit nights, warm weather, deer pop may be down some, heavy hunting pressure like always in the dreaded riffle season. PLUS she manage to get grounded by her mother and the second weekend is out... But my daughter has more hunting instinct than all other kids put tighter did at her age .

The only fun thing that happened for us the first weekend was Sunday afternoon we were sitting on the ground by a small brush pile (maybe brush of 2-3 trees) overlooking a picked cornfield. No deer and I was relaxing pretty good. After a couple hours and the sun about to set and its getting colder. Angela starts giving me these really funny looks and I shrug my shoulders like what??? Using her two fingers shows me that something is walking behind us and I don’t hear a thing. Being older and much wiser I just knew it was a squirrel or something like that (in years past has gotten me excited for no reason too). This goes on for some time and eventually it stops. Pretty soon I heard a loud buck grunt coming from directly behind us… I have never really heard one up this close and in person. Plenty of snorts over the years but nothing like this. We both about crapped our pants sitting there quiet and motionless. Not knowing how to handle this and now have 5 minutes of legal shooting left, I slightly lean over slowly whisper to stand up slowly and turn around. As we do there is nothing there….

Meanwhile nothing stops an old knuckle head like me from enjoying a hunt so I kept at it all week long. It truly was a good hunt although out of four possible deer tags this year…. Well lets just say I don’t have to worry about dusting off my deer processing equipment… Angele’s first deer hunt was somewhat disappointing but several good lesson to learn early on… a deer tag doesn’t grantee you a deer and how important it is to mind mom.

She is a good sport and is looking forward to the next time…. Sometimes discipline is very hard for a parent to give out but we both are still talking about the grunt!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

That's awesome. That deer must have been close. They actually make quite a few different vocalizations, I have only heard a few of them.

It is fun taking the kids hunting, you both learn something every time.

I took my non-hunting son duck hunting a couple weeks ago, not a shot fired, but he had a good time, and he told me as much. Pretty good coming from a 13 year old

My only regret? I didn't get any pictures.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Supporting Member

bad boy bad boy... take a lot of pics! i find myself getting a lil lax at that too Larry. But not only does it bring back some very good memories for both the kids and me when we look back through them it also helps out when I want to know what riffle I had them shooting. This year I figured up the totals for the youth deer hunts

NEF Youth 243- 3 deer
NEF 44 Mag-2 (same time one right after the other)
Rem 722 257 Roberts-3
TCR 30-06 youth load -1