Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Supporting Member

Default Revolver shooters?

Totally un-small caliber but you guys are where I turn when in need. Brother-in-law is rolling into town and I'm going to load up 100 rounds of 38Spl for him. Got all the stuff, he's bringing the brass and I'm supplying Hornady 125gr XTP's. I've got Bullseye and Unique and the loads we will be building are for self defense and maybe a little tin can shooting out on his farm. The Hodgdon site has load data, any loads you guys like? Any problem with just loading up say 1gr short of the Hodgdon manual max? He's only going to be here for a couple of days so "load development" ain't gonna happen. We will go to the range for some shooting, we are looking for MOA of Bad Guy so shooting will be done at the 15Ft distance.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:19 PM
Supporting Member

What revolver will the loads be used in?
I favor Unique in my jacketed loads, and Bullseye behind cast or swaged bullets. Without my load data in front of me for specifics, I will say I usually load to the area between standard and +P for the jacketed pills.
Alliant has their recipes on line, if needed.

Greg
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM

I shoot lots of hangun rounds....Anymore when I buy a new gun I pick a load with a powder that I have and simply load it... In a 38spl you should be good with any load hornady lists for their XTP's...handcannons aren't nearly as picky as rifles in regards to what shoots acceptably... Unique, Blue dot, #5, Powerpistol, 231, and a number of other will work well with those bullets.... I prefer 231 and PP simply because they are cleaner in my mind... But thats kinda like the Blonde vs Brunette thing..everyone has their favorites..
Old 04-14-2010, 04:17 PM

Chuck: From a LE and legal standpoint, tell your Bro-in-law to only carry factory defense loads in his .38. God forbid he ever has to use it in that capacity, but if it was used to slay a cretin, even in self-defense, most prosecutors will hang you out to dry if it's found handloads were used in the homicide. They'll say "you made them more deadly" (yeah, I know). Trust me on this one, I've seen it happen. Best advice is to carry what your local PD carries, usually Fed Hydra-Shock, Gold Dot, etc. for street carry in your PDW.

Whip up some good critter and plinkin' loads with Unique, have him stop at the store on the way home from the range and pick up a box of Speer Gold Dot .38Spl loads. He may thank you some day.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-14-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:53 PM

What Rick in Oregon said. In addition, I would go for the 158gr loads rather than the 125s. Better accuracy and more penetration, from my experience.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM
Supporting Member

And a +1 to what both Rick and TinMan said...

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Chuck: From a LE and legal standpoint, tell your Bro-in-law to only carry factory defense loads in his .38. God forbid he ever has to use it in that capacity, but if it was used to slay a cretin, even in self-defense, most prosecutors will hang you out to dry if it's found handloads were used in the homicide. They'll say "you made them more deadly" (yeah, I know). Trust me on this one, I've seen it happen. Best advice is to carry what your local PD carries, usually Fed Hydra-Shock, Gold Dot, etc. for street carry in your PDW.

Whip up some good critter and plinkin' loads with Unique, have him stop at the store on the way home from the range and pick up a box of Speer Gold Dot .38Spl loads. He may thank you some day.
A lot (most) of the concern over handloads for self-defense is theory, not case history.
I doubt many prosecutors would "hang you out to dry", however there may be bottom-feeding trial lawyers that could bring forth a civil suit, using any basis for their argument, and wanting your money. Facts are not needed in their case, just emotion.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Ayoob has written on this subject at great length, and I'm taking his advice, along with the other legal-eagles that I've discussed this with that have more experience of a personal nature than I. You may very well be correct, but I'll not take the risk, and just stay with factory stuff for CC, just for the sake of the 'better safe than sorry' cliche. I'd hate to test the theory myself.....
Old 04-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Supporting Member

Default good advice

The pistol in question is a Smith 64-5 4" with a Pachmayer grip. This is a Brinks trade in, probably not 200 rounds down it, cyclinder lockup is like new and the hammer spur has been bobbed by Brinks. As for choice of bullets I have a large qty of 125 XTP's that I use in my 357mag and I'm loading them for free as long as he shows up with the brass. I will show him the advice about the factory ammo, can't give too much good information to make a decision on. There's a pretty good chance that the 100 rounds I load for him may last several years but you never know. I'm thinking 1gr light on a max charge from Hodgdons manual with Unique.