Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2018, 03:04 PM

Default Kimber 17Mach2 Pistols....

Had quite a few of these Kimber 17Mach2's, and loved them all!

That said, the three I kept all ended up being sent back to Kimber, to be converted to 22LR. They all had cartridge blow-up in the 17MKII configuration.

The last one, Kimber's Gun Smith said was caused by ammo failure and that the block had a crack in it and they would not return it. Offered me a new pistol that I would have to purchase at a "discount price" that was higher than I could purchase the same pistol for on Gun Broker.

I argued that the block could not have a crack in it, based upon their eval that the ammo per-ignited (they first said this was impossible for their pistols to do this)-I argued and asked for "Proof". Gun Smith then said upon closer inspection, the block was Not cracked and they would go ahead and send it back to me complete as a 22LR. The pistol is extremely accurate in the 22LR, just as it was in the 17MKII.

Just me, but after quite a bit of experience with these pistols, and how argumentative Kimber has gotten about this issue, i would recommend to any owner of these pistols to send them back in good condition to have Kimber re-do them to 22LR. Don't wait until they have a problem. It really is a "When" it happens, not a "If" it happens. Unless one would like to keep it as a "Non-shooter Collector Piece".

Have to say, tho: Until failure, the Kimber's in the 17MKII are very accurate and fun pistol. When this last one exploded, I got shrapnel in my forehead and hand. Glasses saved my eyes.

Bill
Old 02-15-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
Had quite a few of these Kimber 17Mach2's, and loved them all!

That said, the three I kept all ended up being sent back to Kimber, to be converted to 22LR. They all had cartridge blow-up in the 17MKII configuration.

The last one, Kimber's Gun Smith said was caused by ammo failure and that the block had a crack in it and they would not return it. Offered me a new pistol that I would have to purchase at a "discount price" that was higher than I could purchase the same pistol for on Gun Broker.

I argued that the block could not have a crack in it, based upon their eval that the ammo per-ignited (they first said this was impossible for their pistols to do this)-I argued and asked for "Proof". Gun Smith then said upon closer inspection, the block was Not cracked and they would go ahead and send it back to me complete as a 22LR. The pistol is extremely accurate in the 22LR, just as it was in the 17MKII.

Just me, but after quite a bit of experience with these pistols, and how argumentative Kimber has gotten about this issue, i would recommend to any owner of these pistols to send them back in good condition to have Kimber re-do them to 22LR. Don't wait until they have a problem. It really is a "When" it happens, not a "If" it happens. Unless one would like to keep it as a "Non-shooter Collector Piece".

Have to say, tho: Until failure, the Kimber's in the 17MKII are very accurate and fun pistol. When this last one exploded, I got shrapnel in my forehead and hand. Glasses saved my eyes.

Bill
That is a common quote with a .17HM2 semi auto, "I loved it, until it blew up in my hand". The downfall of the HM2 is that it is not safe in a semi auto. Out of battery blowups happen.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM

That sure is unfortunate, Bill. Sure would be neat in an HM2....... if it were safe.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

I know that I’m pretty thick headed and a lot slower than all of you but from my small amount of messing with the HMR and HM2 in semi automatics, I have pretty much convinced myself that the necked down case is where the issue is.

In the past I didn’t concern myself with the split neck thing andcwas reasonable sure that if I had any in my stash, they would be far and few between. That said in the past I have seen split necks on fired cases.

I recently acquired a 17 HMR semi auto pistol and in the past have had a lot of HM2 rounds down four different semi automatic rifles with only one issue that I recall and at that time I was pretty sure I resolved that issue by not shooting 400 rounds through it in one setting in a heavily populated of town. (May have been one other but I am blaming it on the possibility of user error)

I also had a chance on a 17 HM2 in a converted Ruger that I sort of regret passing up on it.

With my renewed interest in a semi auto 17 I started doing some investigation and found out on average that I had 1 in 5 rounds of HM2 with cracked necks. These cracks (all but one) are not visible to my naked eye. They do or I should say may show up under a magnifying glass or a photo taken in the right conditions. My HMR ammo was better, it averaged 1-10 to 1-15 cracked necks.

It was an eye opener for me and today I would never ever consider shooting a 17 rf in a semi auto without first doing the bullet push test on each round.

Let’s face it, I’m not a rf guy at all, I enjoy reloading my own but a rf definitely has it place where I don’t have to concern myself with losing brass down a Pd hole, or in grass and snow when those hard charging raccoons are coming in from all directions.

I am so found of them I doubt I’d ever sell the firearms even if I knew ammo was going to dry up. That said, (with the exception of getting a 17 hm2 auto handgun) I’m probably done with buying rimfires after I get a 17WSM for my AR-15.

Sorry for the long read and remember it all just my opinion with very few facts to back it up but I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with most of those semi auto 17 firearms. But I do feel there is a problem with the 17 rf cracked necks causing bullet set back in a semi auto (higher pressures) and also in some cases powder deterioration. I am not afraid of shooting it with a cracked neck in a bolt gun but a semi is another story.

I will be checking a large stash of centurion 20 caliber necks. If they are ok, I’m wondering why not then has there not been a safer semi auto RF on the market???

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-15-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Good score there, Hal. I almost bought one when they first came out, but ammo availability scared me off.

As you probably know by now, I'm a fan of both the 1911 and .22LR's in general and have two Kimber Rimfire Conversions, the 5" Target and the 3" Compact. Both shoot almost as good as my S&W M41 or my Colt Woodsman Match Target.....almost. Great fun while out launching squirrels with a rifle or just on walkabout.

If the M2 does not work out, you'll still have a dandy little pistol with a Kimber conversion. You can find them online for much less than retail too. And if nothing else, you've found a real collectable item that seems purty scarce.
I too am a 1911 fan, Rick, and I bought this pistol for pennies on the dollar with every intent to buy the 22LR conversion kit for it. The total price was a steal for just the lower half. A Kimber RF version will fit into my 22LR gallery very well, and it will be a nice addition to my Kimber 1911 collection as well.

Still.............in spite of what I read here and already knew about, it's going to get shot this weekend in the 17 M2 format. Albeit in a controlled situation, but I'm curious about the accuracy as I too almost sprang for one of these when they first came out.

Pray for me, brothers..........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
I too am a 1911 fan, Rick, and I bought this pistol for pennies on the dollar with every intent to buy the 22LR conversion kit for it. The total price was a steal for just the lower half. A Kimber RF version will fit into my 22LR gallery very well, and it will be a nice addition to my Kimber 1911 collection as well.

Still.............in spite of what I read here and already knew about, it's going to get shot this weekend in the 17 M2 format. Albeit in a controlled situation, but I'm curious about the accuracy as I too almost sprang for one of these when they first came out.

Pray for me, brothers..........

-BCB

Careful Hal............let us know how it goes. Bundle up with bubble wrap and goggles before you squeeze off the first shot.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Careful Hal............let us know how it goes. Bundle up with bubble wrap and goggles before you squeeze off the first shot.
I found a "slightly used but serviceable" military surplus grenade pit on Ebay......... I'm having it shipped down country so I don't have to haul it down there..... Delivery was supposed to happen today. Something to hunker down in, huh..?

With that and the welder's helmet and the goalie pads, I should be gold..... Plus I bought 1500 feet of string........

Keep the prayers going.......

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 PM

I reckon the string is all you really need. It will be difficult to get a decent sight picture from 1,500 feet, however.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I know that I’m pretty thick headed and a lot slower than all of you but from my small amount of messing with the HMR and HM2 in semi automatics, I have pretty much convinced myself that the necked down case is where the issue is.

In the past I didn’t concern myself with the split neck thing andcwas reasonable sure that if I had any in my stash, they would be far and few between. That said in the past I have seen split necks on fired cases.

I recently acquired a 17 HMR semi auto pistol and in the past have had a lot of HM2 rounds down four different semi automatic rifles with only one issue that I recall and at that time I was pretty sure I resolved that issue by not shooting 400 rounds through it in one setting in a heavily populated of town. (May have been one other but I am blaming it on the possibility of user error)

I also had a chance on a 17 HM2 in a converted Ruger that I sort of regret passing up on it.

With my renewed interest in a semi auto 17 I started doing some investigation and found out on average that I had 1 in 5 rounds of HM2 with cracked necks. These cracks (all but one) are not visible to my naked eye. They do or I should say may show up under a magnifying glass or a photo taken in the right conditions. My HMR ammo was better, it averaged 1-10 to 1-15 cracked necks.

It was an eye opener for me and today I would never ever consider shooting a 17 rf in a semi auto without first doing the bullet push test on each round.

Let’s face it, I’m not a rf guy at all, I enjoy reloading my own but a rf definitely has it place where I don’t have to concern myself with losing brass down a Pd hole, or in grass and snow when those hard charging raccoons are coming in from all directions.

I am so found of them I doubt I’d ever sell the firearms even if I knew ammo was going to dry up. That said, (with the exception of getting a 17 hm2 auto handgun) I’m probably done with buying rimfires after I get a 17WSM for my AR-15.

Sorry for the long read and remember it all just my opinion with very few facts to back it up but I don’t think there’s a thing wrong with most of those semi auto 17 firearms. But I do feel there is a problem with the 17 rf cracked necks causing bullet set back in a semi auto (higher pressures) and also in some cases powder deterioration. I am not afraid of shooting it with a cracked neck in a bolt gun but a semi is another story.

I will be checking a large stash of centurion 20 caliber necks. If they are ok, I’m wondering why not then has there not been a safer semi auto RF on the market???
That may be "part" of the problem, but there has been several blowups with freshly cleaned, sorted ammo guns. I searched all the .17HM2 forums from the beginning on RFC, and the threads titled, "my .17HM2 blew up" or something very close to that was enormous. There was always someone that was going to try out their gun because they knew that the only reason they blew up was the chambers were dirty, an then someone would show them a phot of their own gun blew up, that they had just cleaned, telling them to wear good shooting gloves and glasses. I still "might" dust off my unfired Marlin 917VS or whatever they call it put a scope on it and shoot it with some new ammo, to see what the fuss is about.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
I reckon the string is all you really need. It will be difficult to get a decent sight picture from 1,500 feet, however.
I'm only gonna' roll out about 250' of string at a time and use a good spotting scope. The 1500 feet will give me multiple shots if the string breaks...........

-BCB