Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2018, 08:30 PM
Supporting Member

Default Boy did I do a dumb thing!!! "CAUTION!!"

Spent the last week dealing with the results of a momentary lapse of thought coupled with a complete lack of computer knowledge.
To try to keep it short, I was trying to talk to someone at Amazon to figure out the "Amazon Prime Video" feature worked. Having a real tough time finding a customer service phone contact I Googled "Amazon customer service contact buy phone". First site that popped up looked like amazon and when I called a perfect English speaker answered and seemed 100% legit and helpful.
He was telling me the first 2 episodes of the Fox News series "Scandalous" that we had missed were available and would cost .77 cents each, he also said he could take me through the process to get them.......I believed him .
He's telling me what to do and I just guppy'd along and did it. I started getting a feeling something wasn't right cause Amazon already has all the info he needed. When he asked for my credit card number and expiration date I said Amazon already has it and I'm not giving it to ya! He started fast talking and being real friendly right up tell what the bride calls my deep voice and bad attitude came out and I said "I AIN'T GIVING IT TO YA!! ".
At that point his squeaky little rat voice say's "I'm closing your account then M..... F....."!!!
Even a dumb clod like me figured "ain't no way this is Amazon", quick study ain't I?
I instantly held down the power button till the computer screen went black and started making phone calls, lots and lots a phone calls.
Within an hour all my financial accts were froze, my credit protection folks were making compromised account calls and the computer and external hard drives were at the computer Doctor.
So far there is nothing that has shown up, zero monies have been captured at my expese, no accounts have been attempted to be opened and we both have writers cramp from filling out all the paperwork it takes to start all new accounts and such at our age but my email is of course on that computer and I have no idea what kind of mischief that "EXPLETIVE-EXPLETIVE-EXPLETIVE" can cause in my contacts list. For that I am seriously embarrassed and extremely sorry should there be any!!
On the upside, the computer Doc says he sees very little opportunity for that to happen without someone opening attachments etc on their end. As most of you who know me already know, I'm a phone call guy and hardly ever email. I have a new email address however that will be attached here and if anyone wants it PM me.

That's the deal guys, I wanted to provide a cautionary tale but also a warning that I sure hope no one gets collected in my computer stupidity. I'd truly hate to be the Typhoid Mary of Saubier.com.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Dang Doug,
Sorry you got "snookered".......

Glad you got it squared away.

I had a random infringement on my debit card/bank account shortly into the new year. Only thing I can think of is I bought somethings on "etsy.com" for my wife (jewelry, etc).

Never know when you're accounts will get hacked.

We had over $900 stolen from our checking account in a few hours .....(we only keep $1,000 in checking for good reason). They rest is in savings which isn't linked with debit card purchases.

Luckily we were re-reimbursed (after filling out some paperwork) and I got a new debit card.

Anyway, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

A lot of shady no good prixxx in this world nowadays.

Glad your back "online" and on the forum.

Now, have you shot your .222 yet??

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 02-17-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Now that brought on a warm fuzzy feeling, shooting, I got three guns need to be shot I ain't messed with yet. Thanks Mr Weasil The weather we've had has precluded any range time but soon, real soon.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 PM

10-4 Doug!!

I managed to get an afternoon in the freezing wind last week to "Pop" .....quite literally, some squeaks with my Ruger 77 22 Mag and Fed 30gr TNT HPs.

Then, we got 4" of snow the next day. Looks like I'm outta commission for a while myself.

Got a gunshow in town next weekend, looking forward to that. It looks like winter showed back up here where I'm at.

Good news is, I've got a few fields full of rats ready to be killed when the sun does start a shining again.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Welcome back Doug.
Am glad you got it shut down before he could cause more harm than this
ordeal created. Bad enough to go thru what you did. Whole lot worse to be infected and pass it around the world unknowingly.

I had another 'guest' here six weeks I had to evict. About that same time my debit card couldn't be found. You guys know me well enough to know what I was convinced had happened. Soon as I discovered it wasn't where it should be I called and stopped it. Embarrassing as it is, I'd just put it behind my drivers license!!! Still had to use cash this month instead of the card. but, no harm done and she's in the clear.

Couple years before Dad died Oct 10, I happened to be over there visiting when he got a phone call: "this is your bank, we need to verify your account numbers". He got up and got his check book. I asked what was going on. Bugged him that I interrupted his program. But, he told me. I flat told him: "Don't give your numbers, get a name and phone number and call them back the bank knows your numbers!!" He tried to argue with me, but, it finally sunk in I was right. When he got back to the call the phone was dead. They'd heard me and hung it up. IF he'd of started giving it anyway I was going to go hang up the wall phone he was using.

Once he realized he'd fallen for the scam it really shook him up. He was about 90 at the time and kept at least $3000 in that account.

Folks, we HAVE TO stay aware of this crap all the time. Doug, you were on the ball and even though you were fouled up, at least you knew not to provide the number. Good for you, I'm proud of you pard!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Here's another scam that ALMOST got me. I get a phone call from Hewlett Packard. Guy says my printer is the subject of a recall and he can fix it with a software update. Since I had given my phone number when I registered the product, I figured it was legit. So we're going along over the phone and he's asking me to check certain things in a certain Windows file that he's given me the name of. I'm checking things and lo and behold, there are printer errors. Long story short, I ended the call when he directed me to a website that would give control of my computer to him. That was my ah ha moment when I knew it was a scam. After the call I did some research. It WAS a scam. I wonder how many fell for it since probably all computers have had a printer error at one time or another.
Lesson here is never give someone remote control over your computer unless it is your service provider that YOU called. Even then it can be a dangerous thing.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:36 PM

seems like there's crook behind every bush these days and they are always coming up with new ways to separate people from their cash. Gotta keep your guard up at all times.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 PM

Every now and then, I get a phone call from "My Microsoft Technical Department", with a very heavy East Indian Accent - guy is named, "Brian", "Andrew", "David" , "Thomas" - it varies with every phone call. I usually laugh at the name, then say "Thank You for calling, don't call again" - then hang up.
Usually every 2 to 3 weeks I get these calls, sometimes with call display noting what looks like a Canadian or US number & other times a number I do not recognize at all - maybe Indian or Aftrican - who knows.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:52 PM

So sorry Doug, you had to endure all this!

I used to be critical of people duped like this...til it happened to me.

My downfall was with HP Tech. Department on trying to solve a faulty printer...
I caught on early enough to salvage control of my computer...but it taught me how the old saying "if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck..." well, you know...

The sad thing is; that there are folks "out there" at every turn, ready to take advantage of others. And, the internet is a perfect place to accomplish this.

The part I hate most: it makes me cynical and suspect in most dealings with sales and service people, especially on the internet. Guess that's a healthy response, but sad to have be in that frame of mind all the time.

Example: A post on Saubier Classifieds for a good deal and it is the Poster's first post! I just ignore it thinking it"s just not worth the possible hassle!

Bill
Old 02-18-2018, 02:59 PM

Here is a tip for all of your online stuff like that, use a prepaid card with a know amount of money in it. If it's a $20 one time purchase, only leave a little over $20 on the card. Magazine subscriptions are also horrible for this.