Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-20-2018, 01:52 AM
Supporting Member

[IMG]http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=31See if I can get this picture thing to work

http://www.saubier.com/forum/picture...lbumid=313&pic

https://tinypng.com/web/output/0cnng...4974E7E4E.jpeg

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...7-please-read/

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 03:23 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

IMO: this is caused by poor brass mixture.

Only time I've ever had cracked brass was from too much shooting
and not annealing it. Never had any fresh loaded ammo crack.

I have seen some cracked 17M2 cases I picked up at the range.
Might have been some HMR's too, when they first came out I wasn't
aware of such stuff and was curious as to what it was.

Good discussion.

Just looked at about half a box of HMR's that are at least ten yrs old.
None have cracked. I got them when I bought the NEF I used the barrel from to make the VR. Sometime prior to 2011. Likely about '08 or 09. Believe I just bought the one box and shot it very few times. These are what's left.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-20-2018, 04:34 AM

I agree with George, very good discussion.

I only have a bolt action .17hmr (CZ). I have been tempted to get a auto loader .17hmr, for use when I get into quantities of smaller, maybe adolescent gophers.

I did some reading tonight and learned of the problems with the .17 hmr autoloaders in the past(I hope) their functing problems and how dirty they can get. I avoid using any guns or equipment in the field that I have to screw with or clean a lot to keep it functioning- or get it to function properly especially because we usually get into some high volume shooting. Now, I don’t think a .17 hmr autoloader would work for me.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilA. View Post
I agree with George, very good discussion.

I only have a bolt action .17hmr (CZ). I have been tempted to get a auto loader .17hmr, for use when I get into quantities of smaller, maybe adolescent gophers.

I did some reading tonight and learned of the problems with the .17 hmr autoloaders in the past(I hope) their functing problems and how dirty they can get. I avoid using any guns or equipment in the field that I have to screw with or clean a lot to keep it functioning- or get it to function properly especially because we usually get into some high volume shooting. Now, I don’t think a .17 hmr autoloader would work for me.
I believe you are going in a good direction. I converted a 10/22 to 17HM2. After 50 rounds it must be cleaned to shoot accurately and function properly. A friend of mine converted a Ruger 22 mag autoloader to 17HMR and never could get it to function consistently. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought an A17 and made the usual mods, stock and trigger.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
I believe you are going in a good direction. I converted a 10/22 to 17HM2. After 50 rounds it must be cleaned to shoot accurately and function properly. A friend of mine converted a Ruger 22 mag autoloader to 17HMR and never could get it to function consistently. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought an A17 and made the usual mods, stock and trigger.
At one time the ammo manufactures stated that you need to clean the semi autos three times per 50 round box of ammo. I think they went over board.

I have a marlin 717, TC R55, and a 10/22 in HM2 with no regrets (as well as 7 other bolt actions). If Savage came out with an A17 HM2, id be all over it.

If there is a way for you to get to my user cp photos I just tried to post in the previous post, I’m
Sure you’ll enjoy the information that came right from Winchester concerning the new design.

I’ll get permission to share some more info from a wise FB friend

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

I have permission to share some very insightful information where a really wise person commented on one of my photos (that I tried to post here also). If he is a member here, I will let him come fourth with his name if he sees this and wants to share anything else. I’ll leave most of my meaningless comments out-

c/p

Somebody went to Eley priming I suspect (as well as figured out the annealing problem).

Cool. If it's Eley priming you'll notice it by the smell (can be pretty acrid smelling). Priming and annealing are always the big challenges with a bottle necked rimfire case. The older liquid annealing works (drops in the case, and the case is then spun to get it into the rim) but can be inconsistent. Eley priming is a paste, and is dropped in the case, followed by a plunger that pushes it into the rim. Obviously, a bottle neck case limits the diameter of the plunger, so priming has to happen before the bottle neck is formed. Which means logically, annealing has to follow. You see the challenge?

Sounds like they also changed the process/materials for how they're drawing the cases as well.

Me-You don’t think they are using some kind of a spin drawing process do you?

I have no idea, since a lot of that is proprietary information. That being said, I'd imagine they changed the dimensions of the drawing mandrels to allow the brass to remain thicker further up the case as it is formed (which would require a different thickness of brass sheet stock than normal rimfire ammo). Just a guess on my part, but seems to logical to me. That was the same challenge with 5mmRemMag, it required entirely different brass stock than normal rimfire, hence the increased cost (different base stock, different case dimensions, no sharing common parent case in the forming process for .22 Mag and 17 HMR cases, etc.)

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM
Supporting Member

Lots of thoughts running through my head dreaming about what is to come for the small caliber rimfires (including HM2 and 5mm) might see some new neat stuff.

Edit- Maybe the photo that I was trying to post here will show up in this thread

http://www.varminter.com/forums/topi...7-please-read/

Last edited by GLWenzl; 02-20-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:24 PM

Old 02-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks Jingle! Appreciate the photo help, I wasn’t having any luck.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM

So after a long snooze, Winchester woke up and actually moved the needle in the correct direction making ammo??