Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Supporting Member

Well... I’m not getting to excited yet until I see for myself. I found a local dealer that has 6 boxes @$12.99 so I told him to put my name on it and I’ll be by tomorrow afternoon to pick them up.

If it has a stronger case but is still inconsistent ammo then there’s not much advantage from my standpoint with shooting it through my auto loading pistol.

If it’s more consistent as what my FB friend eluded to (posted above) then I’m very happy.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Supporting Member

2.1 gr heavier in empty case weight.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:55 AM

Accuracy of new lot versus old cracked lot?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:00 AM
Supporting Member

I only fired one round through the semi auto pistol so not enough to say anything about the new Winchester ammo other than the empty case weight of just one round and that all the gas went out the muzzle lol.

We are having freezing rain and it’s a sheet of ice and I turned around deciding not to go in to work today. I had a hard fall yesterday and my tailbone is hurting, so I doubt that I will try to get out and shoot any of it today either.

This is ammo was purchased just for my auto 17 hmr pistol Bot I’ll try to run a few rounds through one of the bolt actions as well as the Savage A17 rifle.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Supporting Member

Just a quick update on the new ammo. Had the day off today turning over from night shift today shift so I thought I’d try and see how this new ammo and shoot an automatic 17 HMR pistol. It wasn’t much of a test, Just sitting on a 5 gallon bucket shooting at a 1 gallon paint can for a functionality test.

The new 17 HMR Winchester varmint HV ammunition (S17HMR1) did not make the 17 HMR automatic pistol issues go away. A matter fact it was worse . The first seven shots fired fine then after that I had FTE and gas leaking from the rim. Decided to try it out and A17 rifle and had issues there also. I had two rounds that didn’t go off, the first one I put back in the chamber so the firing pin would hit it on a different area and it went off. The second one now has two FP strikes on it and did not go off? At first I thought it was the rifle but now I’m not so sure. I was shocked at how far the Winchester empty casings landed away from me. It was like twice as far as the CCI and Hornady.

Next up was the new CCI ammo that I just received from CCI. Only shot 25 rounds in the A17 rifle and it not only shot very reliable, it seem to shoot the best .

The Hornaday 17 HMR ammo will fire every time in the A17 rifle but every single one would fail to eject or it would eject and not pick up the next round. So I just gave up on it in the A17 rifle.

The automatic 17 HMR pistol is brand new and I think some of the issues are with the magazine and some of them may be due to just needing it broke in? It did show some promise with the Hornady 17 HMR ammo. But it let me know that it did not like the Winchester or that a 17 ammo. There will be more to come with that later.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I called CCI one time about the HMR splits. And you know what that guy asked me? You guys ain't going to believe this! But he asked me if I had cats?!!! I said no I hate cats!!! Then I said what the hell is cats got to do with it? He said the smell from the litter box could cause the brass to split !! Maybe the ammonia or something??? The guys name at CCI was Coy Getmen.
There is a phenomenon they call season splits or season cracks, basically the neck just splits setting there and before firing. They discovered it back in WWI times and they had stored their ammo in old cavalry barns in hay that had beau-coups horse urine in it. Turns out it was indeed caused by the ammonia in the urine. "HOWEVER", now they are saying it can just happen over time with the .17 HMR's and M2's. I believe as mentioned above if it is happening it is from sizing puny .22 brass down from .22 to .17 without being able to anneal it. Regardless of what they say I've never seen a split in a .17 HMR or .17 M2 neck yet and I do have cats "love em" . Never let a horse whizz back in my gun room either. Also, I've never shot any in a Semi-Auto. So it's a really curious situation that I've never seen.."Knock-Wood" .
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 AM
Supporting Member

I left that part out. Did a push test on every round today (kinda takes the fun out of it) and not one single split neck or should I say no bullets pushed into the case
Old 03-21-2018, 04:15 PM

CCI has interesting ideas on product quality.

Was told that a 30% failure rate to fire on the first firing pin hit for rimfire was ACCEPTABLE.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Man, if that is the case for CCI, Remington must set the bar at >50%.