Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 AM

Default 20-250 Loads

G'day All, I'm just about to take delivery of a 20-250 (the only one I know of in Australia). Sako 579 action,26": 1:9 Lilja barrel and am looking at starting loads with 50g Bergers. My gunsmith is keen on Win 760 mainly because of its kindness to barrels and though I'm not after max velocity I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Cheers Dugald
Old 02-07-2009, 02:48 AM

Default Sounds like a very nice rifle BN....

I've been thinking alot about the 20-250 for coyotes myself.I will be interested to hear what works for you.While I don't have one yet I do shoot a 20Dasher with VV-550 in a 9 twist Lilja,it works very well with the 50Berger
I have found though that the 9 twist even when clean will blow up the
50's at or above 4100fps depending on the altitude.I'm sure your 20-250
would be able to do that speed pretty easily with W760 or H-414.
I would bet Rel-15 would be a good one also,not sure what you can get "downunder" if you can get Rel-15 I'd think it would be worth a try.
Also I'm thinking the new Berger55 will be awesome in the 9 twist in the bigger 20's,can't wait to get my hands on some.I will definately run them a bit slower and hopefully they will hold together and work fine.
Bobs your uncle.
Matt

Last edited by 17VLD; 02-07-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Supporting Member

I have a .20 Dasher as well which has similar ballistics to to the .20-250, my powder of choice is N540.
My experience with 760 is that as with many very fine ball powders it's somewhat temperature sensitive and certainly wouldn't be my first choice especially in a small caliber. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:11 AM

G'day All, a grim day in South Eastern Australia as many people and vast areas perish in bushfires. To make it worse it seems many of them were deliberately lit ! Thank you for your replies, Alliant and Vihtavouri powders are available here at considerable cost compared to our own ADI powders and sometimes dodgy supply. Even so it sounds like I should source some 550. I'm also doing my best to get hold of some 55g Bergers. Will let you know what happens when I start load testing.
Thanks Again, Cheers Dugald