Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-16-2010, 01:05 PM

Default OT: Fur Prices may go up

Take a look at this article. Maybe we will see some better fur prices.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...s_IndustryNews

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM

I am impressed, latest from WSJ and Fashion news on Saubier.

There appears to be a misprint in the article.
"Ms. Karan described her system for the season in her notes: "Start with a foundation dress," add a skirt or leggings and "throw on" a cocoon jacket or coat."
She probably meant raccoon jacket instead of cocoon jacket.
Maybe our cavemen ancestors were not politically incorrect for wearing fur after all.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:51 PM

I will believe that when the man pays me more for a hide. Until then I have been hearing this for a long time. But then I am an old timer. I can remember getting $12 for a prime muskrat. And $35 for an average raccoon. Heck we used to get $8-$9 for a opossum. I worked a trap line all the way through college for my money. And between trapping and cutting firewood I made a pretty good living. It would be tough to do that today. Tom.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:03 AM
Supporting Member

What age group old timer are you Hoghead? I was born in 38 and did a lot of trapping in the forties and 50s. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicero View Post
What age group old timer are you Hoghead? I was born in 38 and did a lot of trapping in the forties and 50s. Kenny
I apologize. I just feel like an old timer. But I consider myself to be pretty experienced at trapping. How about if I say I am between middle and old timer(born in 58). .

When we were getting good money for hides was in the mid to late 70's. Tom.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 AM

Default fur

My fond memories of the fur industry include selling a cross fox for $110. and many coyotes for $85-$135. each
There were sadder times when I shipped coyote furs and the buyer said they were of no value.
I'm hoping this winters coyotes to bring $35. each but I'm not holding my breath. The hides are at the auctin house waiting for sale-day !
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 PM

As long as PETA don't show up, Like they did at the Westminster dog show you should be fine
Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 AM

those prices would be nice, i have over 70 pelts on hand right now. the fur industry has always annoyed me though. 3% of a pelt may have a "slight" and the price goes down by 30% or more. then some children in china cut it all into little strips for parka hoods anyway. i pulled out of the market last year and don't miss it too much. if all goes well with my tanning and stitching this spring/summer, i may say screw the market forever. a man can only be kicked while he is down so many times and not respond. some fur buyers are swindlers and some are just dealing with the reality that the auction house is going to hose them over for a "slight". it does not take long to learn which are your friends and which are taking advantage of you. i do feel a little bad about not taking fur to my most recent buyer, he is pretty good guy, but if we keep rewarding a lousy market, things will never improve. don't expect me to stop bringing those pelts home though, it's in my blood to stay. it brings a lot of enjoyment into my life. besides, how else do i "justify" these 17's!