Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Supporting Member

Default .221 fireball barrel twist?????

I`m thinking that a 1 in 14 is right, but i wanted to make sure.....

.221 FB. using 40,39 and 32 gr. bullets.........

Varmint gun only.

Thanks

Phil.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:59 PM

1:16 would be even better.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:31 PM
Supporting Member

I have 1:14 shoots fine everything from 32 gr to 62 gr. 24" barrel
Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Supporting Member

I have a CZ American that claims a 1 in 12 and it shoots 40 grain BlitzKings and 40 grain V-Max's like crazy. Been thinking about trying 50 grainers in it but it shoots so well with those 2 they are only bullets I've tried.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Supporting Member

I got to thinking about this thread after my first post. I know my interest in the .221 is the same philip, I want to shoot 40 grain V-Max's at varmints. With that thought in mind and knowing a slower twist is in all likelihood recommended by barrel makers for this purpose I made some calls. My confusion is that my .223 with a 1 in 12 as well as my .221 with a 1 in 12 dote on 40's but that certainly isn't the on a barrel maker would tell ya to get for 40 grainers.
With all that in my easily baffled brain I called Danny Lilga down the road a piece and asked him. He asked what was the heaviest bullet I shoot in a .221 and when I said 40 grains he recommended a 1 in 15 . I asked if that is what he'd pick why do my CZ's do so well with the 40's in 1 in 12's? He stated, (I never heard this before in all my years shooting) "manufacturers always twist the barrels to handle the heavier bullets out there but that a faster twist like my 1 in 12's almost always will handle the lighter bullets ok so you always twist for the heaviest thing possibly gonna be shot. It might not get you the benchrest accuracy of the perfect twist for weight would but varmint hunters typically will never see enough difference to care".
I guess ya learn something new everyday, even when your as dumb as I am. I always thought a given twist had a range of both high weight and low weight bullets. I was unaware it was more forgiving in one direction than the other. I don't know if that's true or not but I sure ain't inclined to debate barrel accuracy with Danny. It sure would explain a few things that puzzled me over the years with various rifles. I'm guessing everyone out there but me already knew that but at least I'm starting to catch up.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:00 AM
Supporting Member

Doug, They also tell you a 10 twist for a 17 and a 12 twist for a 20 and we have found they shoot most bullets very well with a 9 and 11. It's a lot easier to get too slow a twist than too fast. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.