Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-13-2017, 08:24 PM

Default Caliber questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Yes we have a good Firearms ofice manager i have rang him a couple of times and he will always listen to my comments i rang him last Monday to find out the official standing on "two identical calibre rifles " cause my mate Henry had had his variation for a 17H knocked back because he already had a 17HMR and the lady on the phone had said you cant have it because you already have one the same,
Now we all know that that is bulls**t but i rang him just for information because i have almost the same two guns ie a 17A/H and a 17HMR and was worried that i would lose one of them.

I stressed more than once that this was not a complaint but for info only and did he agree that the calibres were the same. "NO NO NO they are totaly different i have shot both myself" he stated i will look into your mates variation but he should not have any trouble thanks for bringing it up.
Wally
The "calibers" are .172" so, they are the same caliber.

They are OBVIOUSLY N O T the same cartridge.

The lady on the phone was/is a beurocratic idiot and a shill.

A .17hmr HMR has much in common with a 17AH as a .22WMR 33grvmax load does with a 55gr vmax .223" Remington.

I want to see that lady try to fire a 17AH in a 17hmr and then tell me that they are the same.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:36 PM

I'd Like to see that, too....but from a significant distance!

Bill
Old 01-14-2017, 04:32 PM

Default a similar problem

Wally,

By the way, I have had some fun coming up with a reliable load for the same purpose as yours in this thread. I can say that due to the pressures, and the friction of a .172" caliber jacket on the walls of the bore that without proper friction reduction it is generally certain that you only get one to three shots with subsonic loads before MV gets inconsistent. I have had a couple solutions to this, which will follow, some of these I have used, while the others I have only had thoughts on.
1.) Don't use a load that is extremely subsonic, i.e., below 800 fps, instead stop trying to do something technically complicated at least with a jacketed bullet.

2.) Use a shorter barrel, the 16.25" to 18.75" length seems adequate.

3.) Use cast lead bullets such as the 32gr RN from N.O.E.

4.) Use less powder, and use a relatively fast powder, such as my personal favorite of H-S 700X. A load of 0.8 to 1.0 gr of this fast flake powder gets the 32gr N.O.E. bullet to exit a short 16.25" barrel every time as long as it gets swabbed every five or so shots.

5.) Get a PCP such as the FX Bobcat in .177", .22", .25" or .30" and be done with it. After the initial cost of acquisition that pellet rifle is actually MUCH more affordable if you shoot a LOT, though not so affordable if shooting less than 2000 pests or targets a season.

6.) Buy a 22lr barrel if you have a TC and use the CCI 40gr Segmented Quiets. I believe that where you are a suppressor is easier to obtain. with a suppressor according to videos it is quieter than almost any pellet rilfe that also has a supressor. Out of a long 27" barrel .22LR rifle it is very quiet, and you basically do not need a suppressor, at least in my experience.
My solution is to shoot a lot less, ignore the squirrels, and feed them instead to the point they are too fat to move faster than the feral cats and the fox around me. We don't have enough bunnies to worry about, though we have had the occasional sneaky armadillo.

FOR SOME REASON NONE OF THESE IMAGES THAT I POSTED BELOW HERE ARE VISIBLE IN MY BROWSERS.

30gr. Kindler Gold, 36.5gr, FMJ and 32gr N.O.E.

32gr NOE result:

Accuracy of the .172" 32gr NOE has been very adequate at 50 yards:

Expansion at 1005 FPS of the pure lead projectile:

Last edited by 17tbs; 01-15-2017 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Trying to see why my photos did not post on here.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:31 PM

I have watched multiple videos of Brits whacking them with 12 ftlb. air rifles, so I think you have a good plan. I would think a 20 grain Vmax would work well.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:00 AM

Default Slower

Pulling the vmax tip out of a 20gr .172"HNDY VMAX creates a very effective. 172"HP, if you fill that with a stiff hard wax it creates a fairly explosive HP that will not over penetrate even at lower velocities.

I have a question for the board monitors/owners/operators, why can't I see any or all of my descriptive imagery from my previous post? Just wondering, as it was there when I looked at it last, and it is still there when I look at the actual text of my post in editing mode.

Last edited by 17tbs; 01-15-2017 at 03:02 AM.