Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Default 222 fox loads

Very hard to not bullet exit on a fox with a 222
I used a 22rimfire on fox under 100 yards that created bullet exits and damage
If you are shooting under 100 yards then use reduced loads from 1800-1950 fps., for further distances you can get away with 3000 fps and the 50 gr. spitzer bullet. The smaller 40 gr bullets are moving too fast and are too explosive.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM

AlbertaAl, do you have any loads that can get the triple deuce down to 1800-1900 fps? I have an older lyman book that can get me down to 2250 or so but nothing in any of my other books gets me down that low. Thanks
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 AM

Default 222 reduced load

I would recommend IMR TRAIL BOSS as a preferred powder for load building reduced loads. You can easily develop a load that will be most accurate at the lowest velocity.
There will be alot of bullet drop at varying distances therefore your scope should have target turrets or mill-dot style reticle for best accuracy.
Have fun !
AL
Old 12-15-2012, 03:43 AM

I've shot plenty with the 35gn v-max from my hornet, and they often stay in a rabbit! Almost every fox had zero pelt damage. If you can get them to shoot in your .222, try to keep them sub 3000 fps (2800 to 2900), and then post all your pic's on here showing us your undamaged skins. I always try to hit the fox in the "big" bit using these pills, and if you do likewise, I predict success. Best of luck!
Old 12-18-2016, 05:37 AM

I just checked this post from a few years ago.Did you ever manage to try the 35 gn v-max on foxes?. If you try to "angle" your shots into them, and aim for the body, instead of the head, you shouldn't tear skins. Regards, Hornetboy
Old 12-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

I shot both of these within 5 minutes of each other. Difference in distance was about 30 yards. Both stopped broadside and aimed right at elbow. As you can see Fox number one had a small undetectable entrance hole with no exit. Fox number two had a big splash. This was with a 17/223 and 25gr H FBHP's. My conclusion was Fox number one was hit between the Ribs and number two was directly on the Rib. It is my opinion that caliber, bullet, speed, nor weight would have made a difference. Sometimes you are going to get a nice pelt and sometimes it will get blown up. Depending on how lucky you are not to hit a hard spot.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Only two fox I've shot was:
first a head shot with a .22lr
the other with a 25gr? I think, in a borrowed
.17 Rem, Nearly blew it in half at 40 yds with
a mid chest hit.

Those guys like Pete: foxhunter223 in AU.
Should chime in, I'm surprised they haven't by now.
They just kill 'em over there and don't mess with fur.
Bob the foxhunter here, should too, he's shot lots of 'em.

One thing I learned with the 35gr V'max in 223. IF over
200yds they'll scatter ALL OVER the hillside! Up to 200yds
they're a one hole shooter. I've never shot a fox with one.
I did shoot a couple coyotes in close and worked fine. One
was behind about 5-7 feet of thin dried sunflower stems.
Must have stung him with flakes the way they ran and never
slowed down. We found pieces of bullet sprayed on the stems.
AND yes, this don't help your 222 question any.

Good luck and have fun. I'd use about 5-10gr Red Dot for a low vel
load myself. Quieter too.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 12-19-2016, 01:39 PM

Exclamation

In the 80's I downsized to the 17 rem to reduce pelt damage on Red Fox. The first batch of ammo(500 rounds) I loaded consisted of 27gr of win760 and the Hornady 25gr hp. After 150-200 fox I realized that the easiest repair was the between the eyes or in the ear placement. I finished out that batch keeping track of consecutive one shot kills(15 most). My rifle was recalled and factory rebarreled, looking back I realized the original barrel fouled badly after 12-15 shots probably why most strings ended then. After the rebarrel I changed to the 25 gr Berger match mef(varmint) and have not been able to find a better bullet for Fox or raccoon or feral cats(load testing). Both of those bullets were shot with muzzle velocity just under 4000. Most Fox were shot sleeping although I would call some for fun or convenience. If you are looking for a long-term Fox fur harvesting rifle, I would move away from the 20-22 or larger calibers.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:58 PM

Default 17rem

I seldom shoot red fox's but 4 years ago I was walking across country and observed one sunbathing, sleeping/curled-up on a fresh dirt pile about 24 inches from his den on an open summerfallow field.
I had lots of time to get comfortable and make shooting decisions.
I ranged him at 300 yds., and got comfortable with my CZ527 Kevlar 17REM. with a big Nightforce NXS shooting Berger Target 25gr. bullets @ 4100FPS
Using the Harris bi-pod, my scope magnification turned up I could clearly see his eye lashes as I aimed and shot him one inch below his ear.
If I would have missed I wouldn't have cared but it was important to make a clean kill avoiding him being injured and going under-ground.
It was a clean instant kill with absolutely zero fur damage.
One of my better hunt days !
-AL
Old 12-20-2016, 10:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

AL:

Ok, good shot, but, how did the head look??

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"