Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 AM

To keep your misses from going any place, I think you really need to use a really light bullet, like a 17gr and shoot it really fast, or at least as fast as a full loaded 25gr in 17 hornet goes. With the proper powder it will take less energy to get the 17gr up to speed so I would say the muzzle blast will likely be quite a bit less, half the weight should take lots less energy to go the same speed. At first contact with most anything that thing will turn to dust. Larry
Old 06-29-2014, 03:51 AM

I've used trailboss in my 17AH's. Shot a snow shoe hare with a 20gr VMAX at 65 yards. The bullet didn't exit and the rabbit fell over dead. When my buddy held it up he said that I must have scared it to death. When we skinned it there was a .17 caliber hole going in and the off side shoulder was bruised. I think I used 3.2 grains, but I'd have to check my notes.

Aaron
Old 06-29-2014, 06:48 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
A full 22 Hornet case of SR 4759 runs about 8.0gr if I remember right, and a 50gr bullet with 8.0gr clocks about 1500-1600fps. Trailboss is also a very large flake powder that can be troublesome to load in 17's.
Actually the flake in Trail Boss throws in a thrower REAL well and loads into 17 cailber necks no problem. I have loaded 17 FB with TB on the progressive with no powder bridging problems of any sort. The doughnut shape seems to flow much better than large stick powders.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Default 17 Hornet Trailboss chronied load data...

Not 17 AH but at least it will give you an indication of velocities in a similar case... 4.0gr TB was max for the 17 Hornet.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilleyman View Post
Not 17 AH but at least it will give you an indication of velocities in a similar case... 4.0gr TB was max for the 17 Hornet.

Thank you Tilleyman and all the others i will certainly try TB and keep you all informed.
Wally
Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default Dispensing TrailBoss

My RCBS measure throws TB consistently very well. However my Harrell's often throws it short. Make sure your measure is consistent.

Alex
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
My RCBS measure throws TB consistently very well. However my Harrell's often throws it short. Make sure your measure is consistent.

Alex
Just for experimental load,s i weigh every every one and worry about bulk loading if i get a good consistant load.
I know if i get a good load it will be a different point of inpact but I have one of them Ruger 77,s with the stuid two piece bolt (best thing Ruger ever did you can adjust your headspace with a shim) but the main thing is the dedicated rings that can be taken off and replaced without loss of zero so i already have a set of rings and a scope to put on for the new load.
Wally
There i go again counting my chickens before they are hatched LOL
Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM

As with Alex and Dean - my measure (RCBS) throws very accurately with TB - and no trouble dumping it into .17AH cases. I've only used it for fireforming in those Dominion cases, and thus, 3.6gr. was a full case to the base of the bullet.

I do not know how well it will fire form a WW or RP case. I am however, VERY sure that less than 3.6gr.would be too low to do any forming with, the pressures being just to dang low. 3.8gr. would be much better, as I noted earlier, 3.6 does not form the cases as well as I'd like.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 PM

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13661

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15593
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
As with Alex and Dean - my measure (RCBS) throws very accurately with TB - and no trouble dumping it into .17AH cases. I've only used it for fireforming in those Dominion cases, and thus, 3.6gr. was a full case to the base of the bullet.

I do not know how well it will fire form a WW or RP case. I am however, VERY sure that less than 3.6gr.would be too low to do any forming with, the pressures being just to dang low. 3.8gr. would be much better, as I noted earlier, 3.6 does not form the cases as well as I'd like.
All my cases are already formed so no problems there.
One of my concerns is if there is only a small load in a 17A/H case will i get "flash over" and incosistant results so just as an enquiry how much will say 3 grs of TB fill the case? I have 5 different cases i can use all with different capacities.
RWS 13.9 gr of H380 (used as a measuring medum only)
HDY 14.1gr
WW 14.2gr
PPU 14.5gr
R&P 15.3GR.
Wally