Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-20-2016, 03:43 PM

Default another 17 hh question ?

I am contemplating buying a cz 527 varmint in 17 hh. I have searched back through a few years of past posts and one thing that kept coming up was the poor quality brass. Has this been resolved or is it still a problem?

The other question I have is about the accuracy. In pasts posts there are several comments about how well their rifle shoots, but no numbers,2s, 3s 4s etc. just comments like ,shoots great, very accurate, lights out and so on. would you guys that actually measure your groups share your thoughts on just how accurate this little round really is. Thank you.
Dan
Old 12-20-2016, 06:29 PM

I have the same gun you're contemplating. Mine shoots in the teens with factory Hornady 20 gr ammo when I do my part. With brass prices the way they are, I found a sale on HH Ammo so I bought two cases. It was cheaper than me buying the components and loading them myself. I'm still working through the first case of ammo so I cant comment on reloadability.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:43 PM

Does anyone know how to post a photo from an iPhone?
Old 01-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Supporting Member

The new brass is fine. Factory ammo shoots great and as said, it is actually cheaper to buy loaded and shoot it than to buy brass raw. If 17 HH loaded ammo stays as cheap as it is now I would shoot factory ammo and sell off the brass. Right now I am shooting mostly factory loads, except for some test hand loads and some Trail Boss quiet loads, and saving the brass in case the factory stuff shoots up in price.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default 17 Hornet

I reloaded fory 17 Hornet. Factory stuff is 21$ a box ! That ain't cheap! What are you paying?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Default 17hh

The 527 heavy barrel with the set trigger is a very accurate rifle. I have no problems keeping groups in the 3's with Berger bullets. I can't say that for the V-Max bullets. I did have to alter the magazine to accept a longer cartridge overall length to obtain the best accuracy. As far as the brass, Hornady still has a lot of inconsistency with dished primer pockets, off center flash holes, and varying neck thickness. I made my own brass with RWS 22 Hornet brass. It's about as perfect as it gets. The Hornady stuff will still keep them in 3/4 inch if you're happy with that.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:44 PM

Default 17 hh price

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
I reloaded fory 17 Hornet. Factory stuff is 21$ a box ! That ain't cheap! What are you paying?
sportsman guide recently had a closeout sale on some at a very favorable price.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default 17 hornet

I bet shipping wasn't favorable!!!
Old 01-07-2017, 04:11 PM

Fat Cat..............it was an exceptional deal from Sportsmans Guide.

I don't know how they did it without losing money...........

It was less than $14 a box of 25 for the 15.5grNTX Hornady factory loads (which shoot incredible by the way)(.

Shipping was ALSO FREE

They had a bunch of it as well..................I bought a pot load
Even though I plan to reload my brass (20 years from now..........haha)

However, FAT CAT..............I agree that reloading is usually the wiser and more economical choice. But, I needed brass and could buy the ammo from sportsmans guide on clearance for 55 Cents a round...........Virgin Brass from Grafs is the same price. Seemed like a "no brainer" to most of us. But, that was the exception as the deal was unbeatable. I won't be buying factory ammo unless its clearance price.

Last edited by Screaminweasil; 01-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
We pay $26 for 25, virgin brass is $90/100. I can shoot factory and resell the once fired brass for $60/100, so with loading costs works out to pretty close to a wash and no time spent loading. (Hornady Zmax are $20/100, primers $5/100, powder 6.50/100 so 31.50/100 versus $44 net for factory). The factory ammo will shoot ,5 or better. That is close enough for gopher work, it isn't intended to be a paper puncher.