Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-08-2012, 06:30 AM

Default 17 Hornet load data

We have factory cartridges.

We have Hodgdon load data. (http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp)
Case: Hornady Barrel Length: 24"
Twist: 1:9" Trim Length: 1.340"
Primer: Federal 205M
How soon till we see factory rifles chambered for this cartridge
Galatians 5:22-23New Living Translation (NLT)

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 PM

These loads don't even equal the factory Hornaday ammo.

I have the Hornaday loading data. It includes the 20Vmax and the 25 Vmax. It does not include Superperformance.

Hornaday is using more powder in their loads and acheiving higher velocities.

Dave
Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 PM

Picked up a box factory ammo in Great Falls yesterday. Reading the box yesterday and was wondering the same thing, are we going to be able to duplicate factory ballicatic with common powder. I hope this isn't going to be like the 25-06 where we have wait 20-25 years before the powder is released so we can achieve factory ballistics

I will tell you this is an interesting looking little round.
Old 06-09-2012, 02:16 AM
Supporting Member

Go to that Hodgdon site and pull up the .17 Ackley Hornet or .20 Tactical and see what they show for max velocity on them .
Also, on the .17 Hornet and all others for that matter all they show is the powders they sell, their site so it's understandable I suppose if a bit disappointing. I'll be anxious to see what Hornady's load data shows as well as the chrono with factory ammo. More to the point, I'll be "real" anxious to get a rifle in my grubby little paws and take a run at er with AA1680 and especially VV N120
Just guessing but I'd lay odds the gophers'll never know the difference between the Ackley or Hornady .17 Hornets.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:21 AM

I would imagine that we will not see loads with Superperformance powder, it has a burn rate of about H4831. It works great in my 22-250 AI and 224 Durham Jet.

I plan on building a Hornidy Hornet on a Low Wall here in the near future. So I think that the same powders that I'm using in my Ackley Hornets will be the same that I use in the Hornidy Hornet. I was kind of hoping that we would see Hornidy come out with 17gr Vmax for the reloader with the introduction of this cartridge. I was told buy an insider that they are going to make another run of 17gr bullets in July, I hope they build a few extra.

Bob
Old 06-09-2012, 03:50 AM

AA1680 ran 3750 in their load data. The Savage actually was faster than the psi barrel.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post
I would imagine that we will not see loads with Superperformance powder, it has a burn rate of about H4831. It works great in my 22-250 AI and 224 Durham Jet.

I plan on building a Hornidy Hornet on a Low Wall here in the near future. So I think that the same powders that I'm using in my Ackley Hornets will be the same that I use in the Hornidy Hornet. I was kind of hoping that we would see Hornidy come out with 17gr Vmax for the reloader with the introduction of this cartridge. I was told buy n insider that they are going to make another run of 17gr bullets in July, I hope they build a few extra.

Bob
So you are saying that you believe the powder in the .17 Hornady Hornet is of a comparable burn rate to H4831? That would be an incredibly slow powder for a case this size . Is it possible you were thinking it has a burn rate closer to H4198?
Ooop's, check that. Hornady is advertising a lot of different ammo using their "Superformance" powders on their website I see so it's obvious they must have a lot of different powders they call "Superformance". I hadn't seen that before but it's for sure they aren't loading the .300Win Mag the .204 Ruger and the .17 Hornet with the same powder, guess I learned something today . Not reading gun magazines and only hanging out here at Saubier doesn't teach a guy much about what the rest of the shooting world is up to .
Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBob View Post

I plan on building a Hornidy Hornet on a Low Wall here in the near future. So I think that the same powders that I'm using in my Ackley Hornets will be the same that I use in the Hornidy Hornet. I was kind of hoping that we would see Hornidy come out with 17gr Vmax for the reloader with the introduction of this cartridge. I was told buy an insider that they are going to make another run of 17gr bullets in July, I hope they build a few extra.

Bob
Cant see 4831 giveing enough velocity to be any good i do Light loads of it pushing a 20vm at 1,900ft/sec in my 17AH
I can get 3,900ft/sec with 4198 same bullet but twice the group size of Viht n120

Wally