Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
CCI BR primers in everything from .308/7.62 all the way down to 17 VHA and LOTS of in between rounds. Will be working with the "20 TCM" in short order. The factory TCM brass has it all over making it from .223. Been there, tried that with the 20 VT "short". Didn't even look back once I found the TCM brass.

What primer also has a lot to do with what you can get your hands on, when available. Find them and stock up.
yeah I've been following you on savage shooters I believe? one of the forums at least. I do want to try a 17 or 20 caliber tcm one of these days.

I'm already hooked on the sub caliber. being able to see your impact from even as close as 40yds is awesome!

If my wife seen my reload room I'd be sleeping in it! lol

I have a decent stock of powders and primers. the one thing I regret was not buying more of the wolf primers when they were around. I picked up one sleeve of 5k for $80 and threw them on the shelf as a I guess I can use these if I run out of my "good primers" low and behold they are the best thing I've used to date in my .223.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 AM

Default primers

I use mostly magnum primers because of the thicker cup. cci 450 to be exact it helps with primer flow issues in my martini's and in my bolt guns just a sturdier primer
Old 05-26-2017, 03:22 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 223Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungheap View Post
So, Mr. SquirrelSlayer, just what is this mysterious cartridge you're monkeying with? It sounds like a .22 TCM, but...
Greetings: I am the inventor of the 223 Short that squirrel_slayer is working with. Four of us on the Graybeard Outdoors Wildcat Cartrdige Forum got together about 9 years ago and decided to develop a really, I mean really low budget wildcat, because I had been introduced to shooting back then on a tight budget, so a single shot H&R 22 Hornet was my entry to the world of reloading.

I wanted a modern replacement for the Hornet that could extend its range by 75yrds so we could get a clean coyote kill at that range. So I wanted no more than 14gr of powder to do 50% more work, rather than going to 50% more powder in the 221 FB. I got interested in Bench Rest cartridge designs and worked out their design formula, and created the Short pretty much to be a scaled down 30 BR. The shoulder was kept at 25º so case forming would be helped, and I used once fired brass, and a Savage Axis rifle.

A team member in Washington state made the prototype chamber reamer and made a barrel for me from a Remington takeoff 22LR barrel. Another member modified the prototype 221 FB reloading dies, and the fourth member got a match grade barrel for his F Class Savage and our Washington member chambered it for him. Thus we had a working prototype and it proved it could reach out to 300 yards and kill a coyote with 1MOA maximum with the match barrel and rifle.

The project took such a long time to get a head of steam because of lack of $ for a very long time. I had to learn to do all my own gunsmithing and barrel swap, learn about what did and didn't work basically with case forming (we cut of 0.625") from 223 Rem cheap cases, etc.

Recently squirrel_slayer came on board by just chance cruising the GBO form and project and we have got some steam up now. I am exploring the bulk brass creation aspect now so if folks want to buy brass rather than form their own, I'll have a cheap alternative for them. I am loaning out the reamer right now, and SS chambered two rifles with the PT&G finish reamer. CH4D made my forming die, but as there is a 9mo wait there, SS and I are going to try and make some ourselves from PT&G die blanks and a PT&G die reamer. But that is a little ways off.

I hope I have not bored you and you regret asking about it. I appreciate your interest.

https://goo.gl/mPahBr is our 223 Short Chat Facebook link. http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/89-wildcat-cartridge-discussion.html is the home page for Graybeard Outdoors Hand Loading Wildcat Forum the 223 Short project is pinned to the top of the page.

Last edited by 223Short; 05-26-2017 at 03:41 AM. Reason: URL Update Text Update
Old 05-26-2017, 03:57 AM

your link is dead for some reason Brian, fixed it http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/89-wild...t-project.html

And welcome to the forum

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 05-26-2017 at 01:57 PM.