Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Supporting Member

If you get it back Bob post some photos please. Was it hard to clean?

The reason I am so interested in this is in NJ the only rifle we can use for squirrel is a BP gun under .36cal. Otherwise shotgun only and spitting out no.6 shot at the dinner table.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

Bob I'm surprised it shot a patched ball in the 14 tw. With your lathe ability you could cut an undersized mould for paper patched bullets. In slug guns they used false muzzles to align the bullet. A paper patched bullet would sure shoot in your 14 tw(if you get it back). And meet Steves requirement for a BP rifle(loads from the muzzle) for his NJ squirrels.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
If you get it back Bob post some photos please. Was it hard to clean?

The reason I am so interested in this is in NJ the only rifle we can use for squirrel is a BP gun under .36cal. Otherwise shotgun only and spitting out no.6 shot at the dinner table.
Stevo

I my opinion the .32 is the perfect choice. Easily available commercially in either percussion or flint, easy to get accessories for, Track of the Wolf and Dixie gun works both carry the guns, balls, ramrods, patches etc for 32s. Once you go smaller than 32 everything you need for it has to be custom built by you or someone else.

The 32s shoot very well with anywhere froom 20 grains of powder on up, easy to clean, don't foul, I have shot as many as 30 shots at the range using just wet patches, ball and 35 grain loads before giving the gun a couple of wet patches to clean up the chamber area. More than accurate enough for head shots to 50 yards

Old 08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Supporting Member

Who made that gun Dean? Thats a beauty. Exactly what I was looking for.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Im with Dean, I dont have one right now but I have owned and shot several 32's they have a reputation of fowling but I never had any trouble with mine. But for out right accuracy I shoot a 40. Everything that I had for that 22 I had to build and it was a pain to load. If I ever get it back Im thinking about relineing it again with a 22 twist, back then I soldered liners in so it shouldnt be to hard to get it out and last I checked Brownells sell 22 short liners.

I hate to be the one to tell you Dean but someone put the lock on the wrong side of that nice rifle, I can show how to fix that.

Bob
Old 08-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Supporting Member

Stevo

Unfortunately the old gentleman that used to custom build these has passed away. He wasn't famous, just a very talented builder. I bought it from his estate, this was one of his personal shooters. He shot it a lot but it still shoots like it was brand new.

BB
You have no idea how long it took me to find a custom built 32 caliber flintlock in left hand, for a reasonable price. Shooting right hand rock locks left handed is NOT fun. That will develop you a flinch in a real hurry.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Like Dean, I have a .32 Tennessee Style Flinter as well, but mine is right handed. I purchased it at Dixons 3 years ago now from Jim Chambers, a consignment rifle.

I find the small bores foul no more than the large bores for me- ie: shoot all day and the last shot loaded just as easily as the first - with no wiping at any time. My wife's .36, back in the 70's was no different as she'd shot all day without any fouling problems. I've noted those with problems in any gun, usually use too thin a patch, or too small a ball. Too thin patching is usually the problem. I normally shoot a ball that is .005" smaller than the bore, and up to bore size, with a .019" to .023" patch depending on the rifle. I have one rifle that shoots a .682" ball with a .030" (calipers) heavy denim patch.(12 ounce) Squeezing tightly with the mic, they run .026". This rifle shoots into 1" to 1 1/2" at 100 meters and has made a number of 2 1/2" groups at 200 yards - 5 shot groups. The accuracy speaks for itself - that won't happen with loose combinations that don't require a short starter.

Pyrodex contains the same chemical that made primers corrosive - in the old days.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Supporting Member

Thumbs up

Nice one Dean!