Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-16-2017, 06:54 AM

Default 204 Ruger velocity spread seems high

This is the second 204 I've developed a good load that shoots in the 0.3's regularly but has 60-90 fps velocity spread.

I've played with neck tension 1-4 tho, no diff, tried 4 different primers, no diff

I'm wondering if its a characteristic of the long powder column with the long thin case design (compared to br case)...though dont notice these high extremes with 223.

Gota say these two 204's shoot better than any of my custom BR guns! (2 x 6Br,s 22Br and 20BR)

The current one is a bog standard t3 go figure. Hard to justify a custom build when a T3 can out shoot a full custom stiller predator with custom match barrel!
Old 05-16-2017, 11:05 AM

Huge spreads show up at long distances. What's the accuracy at 500 or isn't that a consideration?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM

When you rifle is shooting those kind of groups and doing it consistently, why worry about the spread ? The critters and paper will never know the difference.
Each weapon and it's loads, is a critter of it's own. I would just shoot and enjoy it, as is and nor give any thought as to the spread, as long as it is so accurate. Bill K
Old 05-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Bill, I think he's concerned because high velocity spreads usually translate to vertical dispersion as extended ranges.

Things may be rosy at the 100 yard target, but change dramatically out at the 500 yard mark with wide velocity spreads. Just sayin'.......
Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Bill, I think he's concerned because high velocity spreads usually translate to vertical dispersion as extended ranges.

Things may be rosy at the 100 yard target, but change dramatically out at the 500 yard mark with wide velocity spreads. Just sayin'.......
I understand that, but until he tries and tests it, and is getting such fine accuracy, so far. I still would not be concerned. Just my thought. Bill K
Old 05-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Supporting Member

Most consistent powered I found in 204 is 8208 XBR. Single digit SD. It does that in most cartridges I have tried it in. Primers make a difference too, try BR4.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Default Another thought:

Is there any chance that the chronograph may not be reading consistently? Just seems like 60-90 fps is a BIG variation. Been a long time since I have tested my 204R loads since I have not changed anything. As I recall, my spread was in the low teens, less than fifteen.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:29 PM

In my experience, those spreads are excessive. I am not a BR shooter, but try to keep the SD of my loads, even for colony varmints and vermin, at less than 20 fps. Look over your reloading procedures and see if they can be tightened up. What are you using, weighed or measured loads, what powder, what primer, brass type, brass prep procedures, etc..
Old 05-16-2017, 06:13 PM

I have experienced the same in my Current XR 100 --Owned another and it was same as far as spread rechambered to 20 Practical and it shot SD's in teens

Have NO IDEA what changed as all the brass was prepped -w/neck turn,PP, uniformed various neck tension

Jim
Old 05-16-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
In my experience, those spreads are excessive. I am not a BR shooter, but try to keep the SD of my loads, even for colony varmints and vermin, at less than 20 fps. Look over your reloading procedures and see if they can be tightened up. What are you using, weighed or measured loads, what powder, what primer, brass type, brass prep procedures, etc..
With LG and crimping, a CZ Hornet will give 17 to 19SD's and Ruger .218Bee - about 10 to 13 depending on the load. That's with 40gr. bullets.
In both of those, it's the Lee crimp die, I'm sure.

If all else fails - it's worth a try - crimping, that is..