Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 PM

Default 6.5 x 47

I know this is a small caliber forum, but the brain trust here is too good to pass up. Do any of you guys shoot the new 6.5 x 47 Lapua??? If so what gun??? I contacted Cooper and they do chamber for it even though it is not listed on their website.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

Default 6.5x47

Mine is built on a Predator singleshot action, Krieger 1-8, McMillan MBR, Jewell. Pretty boring, shoots little holes but I do give up some horsepower against the 6.5-284's I shoot against in this Texas wind.

Last edited by Chuck Miller; 02-10-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:16 AM
Supporting Member

Mines built on an Alpine action/ rimrock stock, Jewell trigger and Lilja #3 Barrel

If I was building a single hunting rifle this would be it!
I think its a great choice for everything up to elk.

ML
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 AM

Frankenstein I call her.
Old rem 700 action, SPS bolt, McMillan Edge A5 stock, Rem 700 Tactical bottom metal, Green Mountain Barrel - lots of bits thrown together

sierra 123 Matchkings, 39.5 grns Varget, lapua brass 9th,10th & 11th shoots out of the bore. Big black square is two inches, small squares are 1 inch.

Last edited by muzr257; 02-11-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:43 PM

Cooper replied to my email and they do chamber for the 6.5x47 Lapua. Only problem is that I already have 10 Coopers and want something different. I wonder if Dakota would chamber their Predator in the 6.5x47. I'll have to send them an email. Seems like all you guys did a custom rig.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM
Supporting Member

A while back Richard Spruill (Dakota arms) told me they would chamber for this round,but you might have to pull the bolt to extract a live round.....
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Supporting Member

I have the other end of the spectrum () and the fraternal twin of this cartridge (the 6.5 Creedmoor) on a Savage Model 10 Patrol Carbine.

With one in kid in college and the other starting next year, the Alpine, Predator and Stiller actions are still just a little out of my reach financially...soon though, soon.

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell
Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinePMI View Post
I have the other end of the spectrum () and the fraternal twin of this cartridge (the 6.5 Creedmoor) on a Savage Model 10 Patrol Carbine.

With one in kid in college and the other starting next year, the Alpine, Predator and Stiller actions are still just a little out of my reach financially...soon though, soon.
I here ya. I got one out of college and working. Now she is paying for her own civic lease, car insurance and blackberry, she is lucky with no college loans and I'm not charging her rent.......yet. Still have one in private high school,which is more than college and one still in college. Just got my new auto insurance bill for the coming year with 4 cars and 3 drivers under 25.....ouch. Anyway life goes on. What would the average cost be to "build" a 6.45 x 47?????
Old 02-13-2011, 02:01 AM

Default ULA 6.5x47 lapua

Here is my Ultra Light Arms that was originally a 7BR. I had douglas make me a 17" 1-8.5 barrel throated for the 120gr noslers.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
I here ya. I got one out of college and working. Now she is paying for her own civic lease, car insurance and blackberry, she is lucky with no college loans and I'm not charging her rent.......yet. Still have one in private high school,which is more than college and one still in college. Just got my new auto insurance bill for the coming year with 4 cars and 3 drivers under 25.....ouch. Anyway life goes on. What would the average cost be to "build" a 6.45 x 47?????
On a Savage action? Less than a grand I'd imagine (sans scope of course). I used Pac-Nor and they delivered a SS HB 3 groove, 1-85. twist barrel for about $350 (IIRC). IIRC, they also have the 6.5x47 reamer on hand...

With the introduction of Lapua .260 brass, the three cartridges are pretty much a wash if you don't have a custom action (though I do like the SR primer of the 6.5x47...makes for a stronger case head). On a standard, non-modified action though (i.e. firing pin hole unbushed)...I think I'd go .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor.

JMCTW...

We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do great violence on our behalf. -- George Orwell