Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Default sako pistol

I recently picked this up. A sako 6mmPPC and I'm trying to get some more information on the maker. Came from the estate of a H. Ager (Arizona).
Craftsmanship is superb.
Ladobe was familiar with similar sako pistols, but he hasn't posted in over a month. Hope all is well with him.
Thanks,
Joe

Old 03-16-2009, 07:48 PM

http://sakocollectors.lefora.com/forum/
Try here these guys know everything Sako. Nice, very nice. Kevin G will prolly chime in, he knows his stuff about Sakos also.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Supporting Member

That's real, as in "REAL" purty! I never knew Sako had produced a handgun. How long is the barrel?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 PM

wasn't that gun (or a twin) used in a burris add?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:40 AM

Default sako

Sako never made a pistol. In the past you could buy actions and designate them as pistols.
This one has a 15" sainless barrel. I'd be interested in knowing more about the burris add. Just looking for any information that anyone has.

Here's my midgrip in 7-08 w/ burris scope.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Supporting Member

Interesting.
pharmuse by designating them as a hand gun is that how the smith or whoever got past the federal regs on rifle barrels being shortened to under 18 inches and overall length limits? Start out with an action and build up from there?
Is that still doable?
HMMM??

P.S.
Very very nice as well. Great chambering too.

Last edited by montdoug; 03-17-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:11 AM

When you buy a new action you use paper work for a pistol, same as if you buy an AR lower, if it has never been sold before you just buy it like it is a pistol and it is a pistol. Once it has been sold you are locked in as to what it is. If you buy one used I guess the trick would be knowing if it was a leagal pistol or not. Larry
Old 03-17-2009, 02:17 AM

Default sako

Until a few years ago, you used to be able to buy just sako actions. One can still buy a BAT ( http://www.batmachine.com/ ), Stolle ( http://www.kelbly.com/actions.html ) or any other number of cutom actions and have them made into pistols. I'm sure there are still undesignated sako actions out there. Midway has Rem 700 actions for sale, but it is cost prohibitive to make a pistol out of them. I believe Savage is the way to go now. They have released some of their actions and custom pistols are being made from them.

Last edited by pharmuse; 03-17-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:16 AM
Supporting Member

Good to know.
My understanding has been that you can make a handgun, for example an XP100 into a rifle but not the reverse.
So if I get what I'm being told, the serial number is on the action and when you do the yellow sheet on it you put it down as a handgun and it is one. Then later you could make it into a rifle no problem. "BUT", if the yellow sheet says rifle and you have it converted to a 15 inch handgun you go to Federal prison for 5 years. Makes perfect sense to me . Gotta be a better way!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM

Arrow

Joe,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Got the email notification for your private message, but I have been very busy trying to sort and pack for a move to a new place to live the end of the month. Even cancelled surgery #6 that was scheduled for yesterday because I don't have time to get 100% laid up right now (my normal everyday 90% laid up health issues are bad enough).

Took me about 4 years to run it down, but I do have the info on your new toy if it was made by the same custom smith that made mine, or the one that finished the last 5 actions after his death. I can ask you some pointed questions that will tell me if it was either of them. If it is it's one rare rig... one of either 32 or one of 5 and they were very expensive new. But I really don't have time to get into it now (it's after 2 AM and I need some sleep). I'll try to get back to the forum later in the week... or if you PM me a phone number and when to call I'll try to call you.

BTW, don't know about a Burris ad, but Bill Ruger had one in 223 Rem from the same smith and it was on the front cover of a gun mag many years ago.

Larry