Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Supporting Member

Default Well – Well – Well, What have we here????

I’ll give ya three guesses and the first two don’t count! This, my friends is a small flash hole in this case and has a perfectly rounded bottom…. This looks like a nice case for a small caliber…..
Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM

Looks like 30 Luger.

Bruce
Old 08-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Looks like

a 357 Sig. It would look better necked down to say I do not know a 17cal maybe.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:12 AM
Supporting Member

Well, it looks like we might have a winner????

I am not sure, could not pull up a drawing anyplace to compare it to but it is a 308 dia and from the pics I did pull up I'd say it might be a 30 Luger???

I new one of you guys could pull it off! Thanks!!!

Now has anyone done anything with it???? Looks like a whole bunch of fun to me!!!!
Old 08-22-2007, 06:21 AM

Default drawing

Old 08-22-2007, 12:54 PM

Hello,

The 30 Luger was the predecessor to the 9x19mm(9mm Luger) in the German Luger pistols. The 30 is faster, flatter shooting, and lighter recoiling than the 9mm for those that shoot these toggle link pistols. Once you shoot a 30 in a Luger, you probably will wonder why you own a 9mm in a Luger; just my opinion really.

Factory ammo for the 30 is pricey compared to our current battle cartridge, the 9mm. If you handload, the bullets are pricey for the 30, and the brass is fairly dear; tis easy to loose cases.

The 30 Luger has been wildcatted over the years necked up to 22, 25, 27, etc; I would guess 17 as well, but not seen it. You might look at Clymer's reamer section to see some drawings of such. I have seen several 22/30Luger on Luger pistols, custom barrel etc, but usually the cartridge is not enough to work the toggle correctly. Maybe some more tuning is required on projects like that.

There are folks that have issues with 30 Luger ammo or its brass availablity, so the 7.65x19 was created years ago for shooting in a Luger. The parent case is the 9x19 Luger, necked up to 30 caliber in a shortened set of 30 Luger dies. Brass for this wildcat is prevalent, less than a penny a case for 9x19range brass; so looking for the brass is not done much like one would do with the real 30 Luger. I have made up a home brew barrel, much like a 1900 Swiss slender taper; for a Luger, and enjoy it very much.

About the cheapest brass for a real 30 Luger, other than super large lots, is to neck down a 9x23 and trim. Some use a 9x21 but is a bit short, some still use the 9x21 case for shooting in their 30 Lugers regardless. I find that the rim on the 38 super necked up is a bit hard on the expensive Luger extractor, just my own opinion.

Even with the wildcats, the 30 caliber pistol bullets are still a bit of an issue for some. A lot of people have resorted to swaging down the 32/20 type bullets, rather than buying the 308-309 diameter pistol bullets. Of course, there is always a return to casting such, Lee and Lyman offer moulds for such use.

I seem to remember rifle wildcat type cases based on the 30 Luger, hopefully someone here will post such.

Tis good to see someone that likes to experiment. Hard to find such anymore.

Rick W.

Last edited by rick w.; 08-22-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:07 PM

Default 7.62 X 25

The 7.62 X25 and 30 Luger are very close. See Reeds site, he does the 7.62 X 25 in a 22. Years ago a guy with another ammo company was playing with a 22 on the same case. I had a machinest friend convert one of the CZ pistols to it, and he was impressed enough with it to want the gun. It has some impressive stats for a small case out of a short barrel. It is something I'll play with again when I have the extra time. Paul Rodgers and I have talked about it in a 20 and 17 caliber. Case head is same as 223 case.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Supporting Member

Sounds a lot like an early version of the FN FiveseveN. Funny how some things are just too far ahead of their time...
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Reeds round and 5.7

When you look at the stats on Reeds site his round really beats it. When we were playing with the same basic round in .22 caliber years ago with a 5" barrel out of one of the old CZ pistols it ran close to the hornet out of a 10" Contender barrel. Before anyone jumps on what I said about close, remember we are talking about a 5" barrel semi auto pistol at ranges of 50 yards and less. Yes the hornet is hotter out of a 10" barrel, but when you put things into perspective, it is close. Give both rounds the same lenght barrel, bullet weight etc., and they are really close.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Supporting Member

Default 357 Sig to 17/357 Sig link

The 357 Sig I believe is a bit higher capacity than the case diagramed above. Here is a project by a guy who necked the 357 Sig down to .17 in both a semi-auto handgun and a rifle. Check it out.

http://www.realguns.com/archives/101.htm

Last edited by Doug Rumbaugh; 08-24-2007 at 02:36 AM.