Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Yup, that's the one!
I was using the Brides 7MM-08 with a 160 grain Mag-Tip on a Mulie hunt cause it's light to carry. A really big bodied 4X4 topped a ridge above me about 200 yards out and up. He was quartering towards me facing down the hill. I popped him just behind the left shoulder, it went through the scapula on the rear of the shoulder and proceeded through him at a quartering angle towards his right ham. That 160 grain 7MM MagTip moving at 2,650 ish FPS muzzle traversed his entire body from just behind the left shoulder to exit out the rearmost part of his butt at the top of the ham. Didn't wreck hardly any meat and of course just folded him up like a lawn chair "THUD"! I was real impressed by the performance of that bullet in that 7MM-08 so I bought some .30's for my .06 and .300 Win Mag but never got to using em so they went to my buddies rifle. Now they are gone and he's about out completely so here we are.
Fortunately Mike "coyotespotter" has enough to help him through a few years if he's careful (Thanks Mike ) but I know he'd like to find "a couple more boxes" if possible to take him past the needing em age.
I figured one a the great guys here would have a few a these stashed and fortunately I was right .
Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
Tried to PM you let me know if you received PM. Mike
Sent ya couple...I think . I stink at this computer stuff.
Let me know if ya got em.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 PM

Default Got my 7-08 many moons ago

It really loves a sedate load of IMR 3031 and a 140 Ballistic Tip at 2675. You're so right Doug. They don't need to be speedy, they just have to hit where you aim. Drops them right on the spot.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Casselton View Post
It really loves a sedate load of IMR 3031 and a 140 Ballistic Tip at 2675. You're so right Doug. They don't need to be speedy, they just have to hit where you aim. Drops them right on the spot.
Read an article saying the Brits determined 2100-2400 fps was the most effective game killing velocity. 7-08 duplicates the 7x 57, which has just about single handedly wipe out more fauna than anything, along with the .303 and 30/30. All in that velocity range.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:22 PM

Montdoug sent you PM with shipping info,will ask some hoarders I know about any more. Good luck hunting.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:11 PM

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosle...-2nds.html?p=5

Single father of two? We gotta do whatever we can to help this this man out. Wish I had something to send that would help. The link above is to Noslers' Pro Shop. As already mentioned, they have some tremendous deals on blems. The issue is guaranteed to be cosmetic only. I have used them and they have performed and looked as advertised. About one fourth of the way down on the linked page, you will find 30 caliber, 180 grain partition bullets. Bag of fifty for $14.95. Order something else with them and you can cover the reasonable shipping fee, Doug!

Just seems that it might be worth it to find a bullet that performs well and is still offered. This would be a reasonably priced experiment with a premium bullet that has been supported for many decades. Best of luck to you and your' friend, Doug.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Supporting Member

Hey guys. coyotespotter was helpful enough to come through with some a these that'll get us through a bit but for future times I thought that for more distant needs I'd bump this up to the top to see if any more of ya might have any collecting dust on a gun room shelf, it's Speer model # 2059 . Thanks guys.