Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-06-2015, 04:29 PM

Default 17 HH ammo/brass

I have a new CZ 527 Hornet for which I have bought a quantity of Vmax factory ammo. My plan was to shoot this ammo at squirrels and use the brass to reload but I have read about Hornady brass being poor quality. Does anyone know if Hornady has improved the brass yet?

One thing I see is the primers are backed out of the primer pocket about .007 to .010 after first firing of the factory ammo. Is this likely a sign of weak primer pockets or possibly too much headspace in the factory gun?

On the bright side I weighed 20 cases, they were pretty uniform with a 1.02% deviation.

If Hornady brass is still suspect I will sell my remaining ammo and buy new 22 Hornet brass

Thanks for your replies.

Phil Schmidt
Old 09-06-2015, 06:53 PM
Supporting Member

I have a 527 CZ Varmint and I originally bought a bunch of the older ammo that Hornady owned as having "tapered" primer pockets. The cases also had a dished in case head that I could definitely feel if I rubbed my thumb over it. In spite of all that I had zero cases fired where the primers backed out.
My personal take on primers backing out after having had a Cooper .22 K-Hornet with too much head-space and that allowed the primer to back out to much to let the cases fit in a shell holder to size, is that primers backing out is probably a head-space issue. (I am not however a gunsmith just a shooter for 56 years and reloader for 49 , can you say old fart?).
I heard from folks I trust that some Savages are suspect in the head-space area of this issue but never heard it about CZ's nor experienced it.
Hope ya get your problem solved as this is IMO one of the neatest factory rounds released since the .17 Fireball .204 and HMR. It's a real hoot in a gopher patch, basically a store bought .17 Ackley Hornet .
Keep us posted what ya find .
Old 09-06-2015, 08:23 PM

I have 1 older 17HH case that has the cupped head, given to me prior to forming brass from 22Hornet brass as an example to measure.

All the new 17HH brass I have show no signs of this problem. The difference is very obvious.

Such a fun round
Old 09-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Supporting Member

New brass has been much better. I am not using any because I made a whole bunch out of Privi 22 hornet brass so I can't say how it works long term but weight, no dished faces, pocket size etc of the few I played with was all right on spec.

If the primers are backing out and the pockets are not loose then as montdoug said, you need to get your gun head spaced properly.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Yep as above, the old ammo sucked, the last three boxes off brass and any ammo I have bought in last year and a bit have been good.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:47 PM

Default 17HH ammo/brass

I called Hornady and told them about the primers backing out. They said the early brass had tapered, loose primer pockets but believe later brass no longer has that problem. Based on lot # they confirmed the ammo I have was of late manufacture. They sent me a shipping label so I could send them a box of unfired ammo and a dozen fired cases and are going to do extensive testing to figure out if there is any problems with the ammo.

In the meantime my gunsmith has the rifle for bedding, crown work, etc. I am shipping him a 22 hornet no-go gage to see if it fits. My gunsmith thinks it is very unlikely CZ (CZ527 Varmint) let a gun go out of its factory with excessive headspace.

I can see a line around the base of the fired brass .225 from the end of the cartridge/bolt face. Seems that suggests excessive headspace.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-09-2015, 12:51 AM

No matter how loose the pockets are the primer cannot back out unless there is room for it to do so. If it is backed out then the brass is short or the headspace is long. Larry
Old 09-09-2015, 01:09 AM

Do you have anyway to measure brass (shoulder) before and after firing?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:44 AM

Default Hornady Brass

I do not have a case gage. Hornady will tell me what's up and of course my gunsmith will be checking the gun with the NoGo Gage. Does anyone know how much longer a No Go gage is than a Go gage in a small round like the 17HH?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:32 AM

Default 17HH ammo

I'd say the ammo is defective. The case shoulder is pushed back excessively and is creating that excessive headspace. That ring ahead of the case head could be insipient case head separation. Between your smith and Hornady you should have an answer.